Thread: Shop wiring

Shop wiring

Hello all, i am a new member here. I am setting up a shop in my two car garage and have some questions about wiring. I recently purchased some 3 phase equipment. I am looking for a rotary phase converter to power directly from my panel. Does anyone here have experiance in this type of electrical hook up? Basically i want the phase converter to power up when i start the 3 phase equipment. Is there any good publications or reference books in shop wiring such as motor wiring, running multiple equipment sharing power feeds. I have a 60 amp panel in my garage which i feel is enough since i am typically working alone. At times i will have two pieces of equipment run at the same time like jointer and table saw, planner and jointer. These pieces of equipment will run on seperate feeds but over all i do not want to have to run additional sub panels. I know i will hear hire an experianced electrician which i will once i have all the lines run but i am more interested in understanding and learning more about the correct methods. I have purchased a few electrial books but most i have found are just basic home owner types, i am looking for an electrial publication which focuses on wood shop or machine wiring.

I am building a small 20' x 20 shop but i am interested more in selecting old well made equipment which all will require lots of power

'Thank you Kenny

I expect you will get a number of responses as this is a fairly common situation. The most recommended method and the way my shop is set up is to install a 3 phase panel and power it with your RPC. I turn on the converter and just let it run when I know I will be using my 3 phase equip.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Thanks Steve.

any good shop/motor wiring books out there?

kenny, do you intend to use a dust collector while you saw or joint the wood , 60 amps sounds as if it will be high enough

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny hill View Post
    Basically i want the phase converter to power up when i start the 3 phase equipment.
    It won't work that way, you will have to have the RPC running before you start any 3PH equipment. Another option is to put a VFD at each tool especially if it's under 3HP.
    There is TONS of info here on SMC if you use the search function.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Deckelman View Post
    It won't work that way, you will have to have the RPC running before you start any 3PH equipment. Another option is to put a VFD at each tool especially if it's under 3HP.
    There is TONS of info here on SMC if you use the search function.
    can we buy a 3 phase inverter or rotary that are power by a gasoline engine ? generator power plant gasoline engines speed
    up when more electric are needed and this may be what the op are thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    can we buy a 3 phase inverter or rotary that are power by a gasoline engine ? generator power plant gasoline engines speed
    up when more electric are needed and this may be what the op are thinking about
    Ray, the change in speed is OK for a welder or generator however for an alternator (AC) you need constant speed or the frequency will change.Reduced frequency with nominal voltage will let the smoke out of transformers and induction motors in short order.

The OP could certainly buy a 3 phase alternator/engine combination however a static or true rotary converter would be the best. I personally would go VFD...........Rod.

When I was younger my parents had a greenhouse and we powered our watering pump and electric backup three phase generator but it was big. It had a ford inline 6 engine and used a lot of gas.

I have a static phase converter for my tablesaw, its 5hp 3ph. I have a disconnect above the phase converter and it is on a dedicated circuit. As long as I have the disconnect on, the saw will start and stop as if it were single phase wired from the panel. However, I think with a rotary, you have to have it running before starting the 3ph motor.

In my opinion, rotary is a better way to go than a static converter and running the panel as Steve said, sounds like a good idea. Especially if you have several pieces of 3ph equipment.

I am not an electrician, so don't take my advise without checking with others first. I ran NM-2 W/G to the disconnect and on to the phase converter, then 4 conductor SO chord to the tablesaw. I used a 4-prong twist-lok plug at the table saw magnetic switch. I had an electrician help me, but I have my doubts if this is the best way to do it.

However you wire your building, I would suggest standardizing on plugs where you can and size the wire for the converter. This way you could plug-in your machines at other places if you decided to re-arrange in the future. However, If you have a large range of motor sizes, you may wish to protect the smaller motors some way, maybe this can be done in the panel? I'm not familiar with 3ph power distribution for smaller motors.