Thread: Delta Midi Lathe Start Capacitor

Delta Midi Lathe Start Capacitor

Yeah, I know it's a crappy lathe, but it's my crappy lathe and it's sick. The starter cap, is going south. I opened the cover and found no markings on the cap. It's a LA200(same as a 46-250). If any of y'all have one of these, could ya open it up and tell me the ratings(uf/voltage)? Delta no longer supports this lathe, and the yutz's at the service center have no info on the cap. My manuals give a part number, but no specs.
    Thanks
    Mick

I talked with the local Woodcraft today.I wanted to order a bed extension for my 46-460.they said "lots of luck,Delta has sold to a Korean company" and they have been backed up on orders.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Talking

Jeff I got an extension...it'll fit the 46-460...I'll trade for a start cap...Shipping is prolly a deal killer though
    Mick

I found the specs, if any one is interested...on another forum which shall not be named. It's a 30 mfd 300VAC start cap. with an unusual configuration. CBB60SH. The closest I could find is a grainger 6FLU4 which should be here in a week. Just thought I'd throw this out in case anyone else is experiencing similar Delta woes.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Fagen View Post
    I talked with the local Woodcraft today.I wanted to order a bed extension for my 46-460.they said "lots of luck,Delta has sold to a Korean company" and they have been backed up on orders.
    I think that he was not quite right, but I can see where the confusion is. The Korean company that makes horizontal bandsaws is Delta Machinery Co., Ltd.
    Delta Power Equipment Company (www.Deltamachinery.com) is a Taiwan owned company based in South Carolina. It is owned by Delta Power Equipment Company (Delta PEC). Just wanted to make that more clear, so that if anyone understands, he or she may explain it to me.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I had the same problem with my LA200 last August. Or at least I thought it was the same problem. I got 3 start caps, (they are a 300V 30uf) and when I put them in, they exploded in minutes. THe real problem was a short in the motor windings. Long story short, the fix for this problem cost me just over $1000.00. It consisted of 3 start caps, 1 used LA200 lathe, 1 Delta 46-460, and a replacement motor for the original LA200. Now I have 3 lathes. There are no replacement parts available from Delta, so if you need a new motor, you can get one from PSI, but the same motor is available from Harbor Freight for a few dollars less. Be aware that these motors have a 5/8" shaft, and the original Delta is closer to 1/2". I had to drill out the step pulley to fit the new motor, and the mounting bracket had to be re-drilled and remodeled to fit the new motor. What a pain, but at least I got a new 460 and the wife got an almost new LA200. Good luck with yours.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Jeff: I bought the 46-460 and extension not quite 3 weeks ago from Amazon. They had the extensions in stock at that time if that helps you at all.

Thanks guys I'm sure they're in the pipeline just not regionally through Woodcraft.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

I know it is very old thread - but just in case some else finds this thread while searching for repair info...

The capacitor in my 46-250 is a RUN capacitor- not a START capacitor. A electric motor smart guy told me about the difference after I popped the capacitor on my first repair. The start capacitor is only for an initial quick hit to get the motor running. The run capacitor fires during operation to give the motor a little boost with each firing. The start capacitor can't keep firing so it burins up in that circuit. (Something close to that)

Second capacitor (run version) has been running fine for over a year. I could not find a capacitor to fit in the little black tube so I put it in a plastic soda bottle and put on wire extensions and a lot of electrical tape. Ugly, but safe.