Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stave segmented pens

Stave segmented pens

Here are two stave segmented pens that I've been working on. First is cherry, holly and black dyed veneer. Second is cherry with black and red veneer. Both are based on 12 segments cut at 15 degrees on the table saw. Getting the angle perfect takes some trial and error but once I got it I cut a bunch of pieces so I can make a few more blanks. Both have 12 coats of CA glue for a finish. Thanks for looking.

PenStripes_1 (1).jpgPenStripes_2.jpg
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein

I like . I like. That is what I am talking about. nice work and great thinking outside the box. You can do alot with that design now. The one thing is each pen kit is different so I assume you have to make adjustment with different sized tubes.
    John T.

Those are great! Impressively tight joints too. I'd love to see a photo of the fixture you use to cut those small staves on the table saw.

BTW, what is that second pen kit called, and where did you find it? I was looking for one like that recently and could only find a screw-on pen lid style. I was hoping for the magnetic end cap.

Thanks!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

The first pen is a Jr. Gent and the second pen is a Zen with a magnetic cap from Craft Supplies in Utah. I didn't use a jig to cut the segments, set the blade to 15 degrees and ripped the strips. It took a little trial and error to get the saw set at a perfect 15 degrees, once set I cut a bunch of strips.
    Albert Einstein

I'm not into pens much any more but I really like these. The wider segments would be my pick of the two.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

For the pen I would take the Jr Gent. Not a big fan of the Zen but both blanks rock.

"The best things in life are not things."

Nice looking pens!

Blog Entries
    The huge size of the pics hides the work involved in getting such perfectly cut thin staves.

Nicely done!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Beautiful pens. I kow what you mean about getting the angle set. I make the staved coffee mugs and once that angle is set on the table saw, I cut a bunch of blanks. I wold love to see pictures of your set-up. I use a sled that I made to cut mine. Thanks for sharing.

I too would be interested to seeing how you cut the staves that small safely. I get cutting one side but are you flipping the board to the other side to cut the thin slices??? Are you using a sled??? There has to be alot of calculating to also be able to add the accent stripes with the staves too. Thanks.
    John T.

Those are really nice. I really like that staved look.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is a ton of extremely detailed work Jon...you really pulled it off!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

And you still have all your fingers? I'd like to see how you cut such small pieces!

The pens turned out beautiful! The fit and finish is great!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Impressive work Jon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I thought about making some kind of jig to cut the staves but I'm not good at that sort of thing. I use a Wixey angle box to set the blade angle, I have a Jet cabinet saw. I made corian zero clearance inserts, they're nice and flat. I start with .375" to .5" thick stock, make the initial cut to set the first edge, flip the board end for end, move the fence (I use a Rockler thin strip cutting jig) so the pieces are about 1/64" thick on the narrow edge and make the next cut...and so on. I use a set of Grippers to hold the stock, works well as I still have all my fingers, I use these on everything. To glue them up, I lay out two pieces of painters tape and lay out the strips with a piece of flat veneer between each, then run a line of wood glue between each piece and roll it up using the tape to hold it together. If everything is fitting perfectly I use rubber bands to clamp them until dry, then drill and turn as usual.
    Albert Einstein