Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Spindle Sander to buy

I have used the older version of the Grizzly G038 [Ryobi label at that time] for years and it has been a cheap, reliable workhorse. Obtained a Ridgid somewhere along the line but dumped it because i had a good Jet belt-disc sander.The Grizzly was easier to use, changes spindles easier and less vibration IMO. And the dust collection on the ridgid was poor by comparison. Bought a Jet benchtop spindle sander and must say it works very well but required major tuning and skirt building for dust collection. And the sleeves are expensive and more difficult to change than the cheap Griz. So if you are just needing something to occasionally smooth some curves the Grizzly G038 or Ridgid would probably workfine. I've sanded hundreds of feet of wood thick and thin with mine. But If you are thinking long term and heavy duty the more expensive units would be the way to go. Have fun sanding!

I too have the Jet benchtop. I got mine (barely) used. Its a lot nicer than the universal-motored one I had before--pretty much seems to be just a scaled down version of the big one.

When it came time to buy an OSS I opted for the Porter Cable 121, it is a hand held unit that WoodPecker made an aluminum plate for to fit the same opening as their router lifts, thus giving double duty from the right wing of the tablesaw. WoodPecker does not carry the plate anymore (sometimes they do a limited run if you are on their mailing list), but other companies like WoodHaven produce a similar plate, not sure if it is aluminum though. I really like the fact that the PC121 is a hand held unit as it is only a couple of screws and the unit can be taken to jobs like kitchen sink installs, marble work, etc.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

I bought the Jet " about 3 yrs ago " it has been great, I think I paid about $300.00 but not sure. Buy the Best Tool that you can afford at the time. you will be a lot Happier down the road.

I have an older Ryobi benchtop. Its great, and I use it 'fairly frequently' - meaning enough that I leave it out on top of a bench and not buried on a shelf.

If you arent sure - start with a benchtop (read - cheap) - try it out and see how much you use it and upgrade from there. Ive aked myself if I would use a larger model, but my answer is that the floor space is needed for higher priority machines.

I also like that this little guy is very light and portable to move around. Later this afternoon, the Cub Scouts will be in my shop and this unit will get clamped to a small workbench at their height and will get heavy use (its a reasonably safe machine as machines go)

Oh - and dont overthink it - there isnt much that needs to go into the decision. (from time to time you can find these on CL even)

Here's another vote for the Ridgid. I've had mine for three years and use it a lot! Never any tracking issues with the belt once adjusted when put on and no issues with the spindles either.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Buying the Rigid is a really good way to end up with a floor OSS and OES...
    Yeah, I ended up with a Jet OES also.

Another Option

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Smith View Post
    I've been looking at spindle sanders for a while and I'm not any closer to picking one. Any advise on which bench top is best or do I need to go right to the larger machines
    I have a Jet OSS, but about 90% of the time, I use a shop-built spindle with rolled-on sandpaper attached and mounted in my lathe. This gives any spindle length or diameter I want. Yeah, the dust collection is crappy... But if you've got a lathe, you're about 20 min. away from trying it to see if it would fit your needs.

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL
    Athens, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I have the Ridgid 4424 combo unit and love the thing, it is great as a edge belt sander and then just put a spindle on it and I can do all my curves as things like that.
    The price is really great for what you get, at $200 it is really hard to beat.
    I agree with Bill. I have used the belt and spindles on the same project because it's so easy to switch between the two. The way the table tilts has also been a helpful feature on projects. When I remember to hook upmy vacuum to the dust port the dust collection feature works well too.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

When I remember to hook upmy vacuum to the dust port the dust collection feature works well too.
    That reason is one of the biggies I went with the Ridgid.

I've owned both the Delta BOSS and the Jet JBOS-5. The Jey was purchased when the Delta's motor burned out. I'd had it for 5 years and it saw only hobbyist use. I've had teh Jet for 7 years and it's still solid. I wrote a comparison of the two and posted it on Amazon under the Jet's listing - it's still accurate.