Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Spindle Sander to buy

What Spindle Sander to buy

I've been looking at spindle sanders for a while and I'm not any closer to picking one. Any advise on which bench top is best or do I need to go right to the larger machines

I don't use it often, but I have has the Jet benchtop model for 6 years and never had a problem with it. It spins and goes up and down....
    There is a off color joke in there... but I won't go there!

I have a delta boss table top sander. The biggest problem with them is the plastic gears that run the spindle upu and down. I had to replace mine once already after probably less than 5 hours use. If you plan on using it very much get a heavier duty one than that, it is only suitable for lite use. Jared

I've got the Grizzly benchtop model. It works fine, although I use it a lot less than I figured I would. For large radius curves I typically use a pattern and flush cut router bit, and then hand sand.

Love my Jet tabletop, but it's a lot more expensive now than when I bought mine.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I have the Ridgid 4424 combo unit and love the thing, it is great as a edge belt sander and then just put a spindle on it and I can do all my curves as things like that.
    The price is really great for what you get, at $200 it is really hard to beat.

I think the big key is budget and how often you will use it. Many people use an OSS a LOT many people rarely ever. If you are in the latter I would say get the Ridgid, it ain't perfect doesn't have a lot of power but does the job for many. If you are looking at the heavy benchtop OSS like the General and Jet I would suggest just moving up to a florr model. If used is out the Grizzly and Shopfox are the best values especially if the Jet isn't on sale. Basically, if you can get by with a lightweight lower powered unit get the Ridgid, if you plan to use it a lot get the Grizzly. If you have a much bigger budget and plan to use it constantly there are more serious options available.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    I have the Jet Benchtop OSS. Got lucky and found a used one last year. Really happy with it.

PHM

I've got the Griz G1071. I bought it I think the first year they offered it, paid $495.00. Wow, price has really gone up but mine is great piece of equipment. I haven’t had such good luck with their machinery since but this sander is well made and one of favorite tools. Having a heavy machine with a large table is really nice.

I started with the Ridgid. It was a good spindle sander but my belt never tracked very well. I found that the spindlse were short for what I needed so I got a Grizzly G1071floor model. I couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I started with the Ridgid. It was a good spindle sander but my belt never tracked very well. I found that the spindlse were short for what I needed so I got a Grizzly G1071floor model. I couldn't be happier.
    Buying the Rigid is a really good way to end up with a floor OSS and OES...
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 02-25-2012 at 9:16 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Well, shame on me. My Ridgid has been a workhorse. Best $200.00 I've spent. Can't complain at all except for some crappy belts from trime to time.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Plus one for the Ridgid. I have used mine quite a bit in the last couple of months building toy rubber band guns. Used for smoothing curves and even hand shaping some of the parts. I would not call it perfect, but as benchtop units go I didn't find a better option.

I haven't found the power to be a real constraint - I have learned to work within the limits of the machine and have not been frustrated. It is possible to bog it down though.

I have the Performax OSS that Menards sells. For the occasional use that it gets, it works well.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Another vote for the Rigid. I use the spindle sander more then the belt, but for the price can't be beat.
    Lori K