Thread: using the cnc to cut corian

using the cnc to cut corian

programmed a sink cutout on a corian vanity top ,used the logitrace draw program and aspire to setup the cut
    when smooth ,better than a jigsaw and no scratches to the corian top
    It was not hard to align the cut on the top using aspire

http://youtu.be/QKGGYZjvmrU

Nice vid. How about some feed and speed info. What bit were you using. I was just given a bunch of Corian to play with.
    Last edited by Michael Simpson Virgina; 02-26-2012 at 12:08 PM.

I would love one of those tablets!! Very cool.

You said it was easy to line up. Exactly how did you line it up?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I see you used a climb cut. I find that a conventional cut would give a better finish but it really doesn't matter as you are covering the cut with a sink.

nothing special on the cnc ,i used a 1/4 flat end mill i cut slow maybe around 30ips programmed it in aspire( i watch the current on the router 3hp and i keepo the current below 7.90 amps but adjusting the speed ,i could go faster but corian is tough.
    It went 6 passes 1/2 thick
    will write again about the alignment(need to go for a walk)

when i drew the sink cut out i set up a boundry around the hole as seen in the video that boundry say was 22x18, i took that templateon cardbord and placed it on the corian and sketched it out with a black marker ,then i defined the same area in aspire with z=zero bottom left corner.So before i made the cut i kept running the cnc (mach3 ) with the bit over the corain and adjusting the z=0 till the cutter and my pattern lined up,then i mad the cut and it was perfect,even the sink drained lined up with the orioginal.

And it sands right up back to a glossy finish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stan kern; 02-27-2012 at 9:26 PM. Reason: pictures

Quote Originally Posted by stan kern View Post
    nothing special on the cnc ,i used a 1/4 flat end mill i cut slow maybe around 30ips programmed it in aspire( i watch the current on the router 3hp and i keepo the current below 7.90 amps but adjusting the speed ,i could go faster but corian is tough.
    It went 6 passes 1/2 thick
    If you use a new bit, Corian cuts like butter. With a sharp 2 flute 1/4" upcut spiral, you can cut through 1/2" in 3 passes (.167) at 400ipm and about 18,000 rpm. The trick is to never use a bit that's ever cut MDF or particle board. Keep bits for corian only, and they'll stay sharp much longer. If the bit is dull, it can break at those speeds.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I cut door signs from Corian almost every day. We get 60 (6" by 8") sign blanks from each sheet and we can cut about ten sheets with a 1/4" spiral bit. This includes machining window cutouts in most of our signs, the window has a step machined from the back to accommodate an insert. Both the perimeter and the window cuts are made in three passes, the key to longer bit and saw blade life when cutting Corian is to go slow. My spindle RPM is almost always 12,600.

I like to keep the speed low i know its more time ,but if you ever have used a hand router you'll know the forces on the router and whats holding.
    Now if you have a large industrial cnc thats a different story
    Corian is very nice to work with

Keith,I use this router bit to fabricate Corian counter tops. It will go through 1/2" material in 1 pass.
    you can run it at 1000 ipm @ 24000 rpm. We have had very good luck with these. Link attached. I was
    scared to run it that fast but it goes right through it. Tom Pinske designed it for Corian and cnc machines.

http://www.pinske-edge.com/shop/prod...ougher-bit-14/

Dean,

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

That bit looks like an Onsrud bit by the chip breaker pattern. http://www.onsrud.com/xlink/xlProduc...nolic%20Cutter
    I use the .5" Onsrud 67-200 series bits to cut 1" phenolic in a single pass. Tom must have the .250 size made for his resale.

I want to glue two corian slabs together to make it thicker. What would I use for the adhesive?

Thx

Corian makes an epoxy for that It comes in the same color so you won't see the seams.

Quote Originally Posted by GVJeeper View Post
    I want to glue two corian slabs together to make it thicker. What would I use for the adhesive?

Thx
    http://gluewarehouse.com/

http://www.integra-adhesives.com/
    Gerry

JointCAM