Thread: Axe Handles:

Axe Handles:

I have been looking for some axe handles for about a year. Either they are plastic, not going there, or they are improperly made ( grain running the wrong way, off center tenon, not straight, ... ). Well, it is getting to the point I need to do more than look. Any sources anyone knows of in the NW? Or, although I do not like this route as I am buying blind and most handles are not longer made properly, any online sources someone can recommend?

I need 4 double bit with a 34" hafting length, and 4 single bit straight style with a 36" hafting length. Handle: straight grain hickory with the grain running the longways of the eye tenon, no heartwood, properly shaped tenon.

Thx's, Fred ( jyblood@nwi.net )

I bought an adze handle from these folks http://tennesseehickoryproducts.com/. It is a nice handle - no complaints.

I recently made a hatchet handle from white oak that was leftover from a chair project. Hand split so the grain runs right and it made for a nice handle. I have a shave horse and sharp draw knives, so the project took about an hour from start to finish.

Regards, Patrick

I recently saw a post on axe handle making in SWARF on OWWM.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Fred, you don't say where you are? There may be some local sources if you're lucky and someone knows about them...

Blog Entries
    In the Pacific Norhtwest I found one in an ACE Hardware store. I think I picked the best of the three there.

Trying to get a bunch at the same time is going to be difficult.

Making your own may be your best option.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have tried all the local stores. I was hoping for a old fashion hardware/specialty store I could hit in my travels. I guess I need info on handle making.

Thx's, Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tipton View Post
    I bought an adze handle from these folks http://tennesseehickoryproducts.com/. It is a nice handle - no complaints.
    This looks like a good resource. Thanks for posting. Can you recommend a source for wedges?

Although not listed on the website, the Tennessee Hickory folks have wedges as well. Download their catalog and you will find a listing there!

Regards, Patrick

I've had good experience ordering from these folks: http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...nt+Axe+Handles
    Maurice

Thank's

I was looking at few handles in the TriCities today and noticed that the eye 'tenon' was too small for my two favorite axes ( circa 1900 ). The handles I found were not aceptable, but will seem to fit my other axes. So, I guess I will try and order some, but I probably are going to have to make at least two. Of course, for me that is really 4, 2 to screw up and 2 that turn out ok.

With that said, what is SWARF on OWWM?

Thx's, Fred.

The best local surce I know of in the area is Hardwick & Sons in Seattle.

The Woodwright's Companion covers this.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodwrights-Co...0440730&sr=8-4
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bryant View Post

With that said, what is SWARF on OWWM?

Thx's, Fred.
    OWWM.com is another forum devoted mainly to old wood working machinery. SWARF is the off-topic portion of the forum. Membership is free.

+1 for Ace Hardware. There were several there to pick from and I mounted it on my splitting maul/axe. Very strong. Good grain pattern. The last one lasted over 20 years. Hickory is tough.