Thread: .010 plate backsaw

.010 plate backsaw

I had a cheap japanese pullsaw. it worked fine for a while, then those long skinny teeth started falling off. when it got too toothless to use, I cut the rest of the teeth off, threw away the handle and tossed the steel in a drawer for some later use. it's been sitting there for a couple of years now, mocking me. so I'm thinking to try building a super fine backsaw from it. western style teeth, really small, lots of them. push stroke, shallow depth of cut, maybe 1 or 2 inches. probably a pretty heavy back, probably a gent's saw style handle. I don't know that I need such a saw, but I'd bet it will see some use.

anybody here ever build, use or even hear of a saw like that?

Bridger

Based on its behavior, I'd guess your saw has been impulse hardened, thus brittle, too brittle to work. Maybe a blacksmith somewhere can amend this condition, but I haven't heard of such a thing.

Adam Cherubini blogged about this a while back: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...-one-may-think

Basically he said even on small DT saws he never had any luck with anything below .015.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    Based on its behavior, I'd guess your saw has been impulse hardened, thus brittle, too brittle to work. Maybe a blacksmith somewhere can amend this condition, but I haven't heard of such a thing.
    Does impulse hardening affect more than just the teeth? I always thought it was just the teeth and the rest of the plate was not hardened to the same degree. Regardless if the plate is too thin for a push saw it should work for scrapers, assuming its not too brittle.

Too thin. it'll make for a flimsy feeling saw plate, even if it's hardened. If it's not hardened, it'll really be too floppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fisher View Post
    Does impulse hardening affect more than just the teeth? I always thought it was just the teeth and the rest of the plate was not hardened to the same degree...
    I don't know. I've never had an impulse hardened saw that killed itself like that; although I did have a ryoba that gradually broke itself apart, as if the body was weak in 4 places; but I kept using the fragments left. This was one of my first Japanese saws, so most likely my lack of technique hastened the process. The vendor replaced it. I still have the fragments, maybe can use the teeth for making inlay tools.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    anybody here ever build, use or even hear of a saw like that?
    Something like that:
    Gents+saw+Ziricote.jpg

IMG_0166.JPG

0.012" plate
    4"-8" long
    18-24tpi

We made a few together with Alex, a turner and woodworker from Hamburg.

Cheers
    Pedder