Thread: Busy weekend casting and turning.

Busy weekend casting and turning.

Since I'm learning to cast items to turn its been a whole new expierence around here. Cracks,voids and inperfections are not a problem anymore. I'm looking for wood or other items that need a little more addition to make it a masterpiece. These are some of the items I've worked on this weekend. There is a learning curve but other than that its a blast to do.One is a Jr. Gent pen that was in 2 pieces when I started. It's a Spalted Oak burl that was casted in blue "Poly Resin" using a pressure pot. The second pen is an Aero pen wrapped in yellow Poly Resin using some "Sweetgum" balls I picked up off the ground on Friday. These pens are sure to be an eyecatcher. C&C Welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool pens! I'm going to try casting soon and I hope my attempt turn out as nice as yours!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Interesting. Do you cast in some kind of mold?

Nice looking pens. That sweet gum really looks nice. This is something that I must get to one day on my things to do list!
    Billy

Both are really nice looking pens, the sweet gum is...well...Sweet! One of the more interesting casts I've seen.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

For the mold, I used an old cutting board and cut it up to size and screwed it together.This mold is a 1"wide x1 1/8"deep x 5 1/4' long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ha!!! You're on a roll Donny! Great work...now you just have to rob a 7-11 to pay for it!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Interesting......may have to try it! Maybe go 1.5" square and then you could cut it into quarters of 3/4" square.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY