Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey: sharpening chisel

Survey: sharpening chisel

1) Do you sharpen your chisels?
    2) Have you ever send your chisels to be sharpen?
    3) Do you prefer hollow grind your chisels or flat ground?

Thanks
    Last edited by Steven Hsieh; 02-27-2012 at 1:00 AM.

1) Yes, often during jobs, as soon as they work differently than when I started.
    2) Nope, no need, and they would ned to be sharpened again after 15 minutes of use.
    3) I prefer hollow grind.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

1) Do you sharpen your chisels? If you don't, you should.
    2) Have you ever send your chisels to be sharpen? No! they need to be sharpened so often in use it would be impossible to send out. They are not like saw blades.
    3) Do you prefer hollow grind your chisels or flat ground? Makes no difference to me but if I had to chose, Flat.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Heh, yes! If I didn't they would be pretty useless except for prying the lid off of paint tins much to quickly

No, as noted by others... I sharpen like every ~10-20 minutes if I'm doing things... More if its annoying wood (twisty, hard, crumbly), less if its easy cutting wood

They often start hollow, but they all end up flat around here.. I suppose if I had a tormek I might try hollow and burnished..

1. yes
    2. they need to be sharpened too often to even think about it
    3. always been a flat grind kinda guy
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hsieh View Post

Thanks
    1) Of Course
    2) LOL....no. I'd love to have an apprentice. He would do nothing but tidy up and sharpen all day long until I felt he was ready for sanding...
    3) Depends. Flat ground on my paring chisels, because I use them bevel down sometimes and the flat ground appears to give me more control. Everything else depends on my mood....that's a true statement. Flat ground, hollow ground, micro bevel. It's all the same to me. Whatever I feel like doing that day.

If anyone's answer to #2 is yes, buy a Worksharp 3000 and stop wasting your time and money.

Yes.
    No.
    Prefer flat. I may want to reverse the chisel and use it bevel down on occasion and I think that you get a slightly more durable edge if it is backed up by more metal. If I have to reshape a chisel tip on the grinding wheel I will generally grind most of the curvature back out when I sharpen it the first time.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

After struggling with my inexpensive acoustic guitar one day, I called up a music shop and asked them if they tuned guitars. They quizically responded in the affirmative. I immediately hopped on my bicycle and rode the several miles to the shop. I walked in, guitar in hand (did not have a case), and told them I was the guy that had called about the guitar tune up. To their credit they kept a straight face and were pretty nice to me. I'm sure they had a good laugh after I left.

By the time I returned home and strummed it, the guitar was out of tune, Doh!

Now in my defense, I had only recently started playing with it and keeping the guitar in my bedroom. There was still a question of ownership as my older sister was 'technically' the recipient of the instrument. I eventually became the de facto owner of said guitar. Several years later a younger brother augmented the back side of the guitar via a bed post. In retrospect I'm confident I was largely responsible for this unnecessary modification.

So I guess the point I'm getting at is that chisels, like guitars, need to be tuned up so frequently that it is simply automatic. No thought other than the immediate attention to the task at hand is required.

There is an excellent book on sharpening, I forget the authors name right now, but it is a worthy investment.

BTW, I still don't trust my brother around any of my guitars these days.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    After struggling with my inexpensive acoustic guitar one day, I called up a music shop and asked them if they tuned guitars. They quizically responded in the affirmative. I immediately hopped on my bicycle and rode the several miles to the shop. I walked in, guitar in hand (did not have a case), and told them I was the guy that had called about the guitar tune up. To their credit they kept a straight face and were pretty nice to me. I'm sure they had a good laugh after I left.

Now in my defense, I had only recently started playing with it and keeping the guitar in my bedroom. There was still a question of ownership as my older sister was 'technically' the recipient of the instrument. I eventually became the de facto owner of said guitar. Several years later a younger brother augmented the back side of the guitar via a bed post. In retrospect I'm confident I was largely responsible for this unnecessary modification.

So I guess the point I'm getting at is that chisels, like guitars, need to be tuned up so frequently that it is simply automatic. No thought other than the immediate attention to the task at hand is required.

There is an excellent book on sharpening, I forget the authors name right now, but it is a worthy investment.

Greg,

The book may be the perfect edge by Ron Hock. I've been reading it for about a month now at the suggestion of creeker Kent A. Bathurst.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 02-27-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post

I'm just disappointed that the digital tuner I use on my guitars doesn't work on my chisels......

but it might be useable for adjusting tension on my bandsaw blades.......
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-27-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

1.) I sharpen all my own.
    2.) Nope, not chisels. I'd send out a tablesaw blade, but not a chisel, or plane iron.
    3.) Always flat Flat, with a micro beveled edge.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    1.) I sharpen all my own.
    2.) Nope, not chisels. I'd send out a tablesaw blade, but not a chisel, or plane iron.
    3.) Always flat Flat, with a micro beveled edge.
    +1 I do a flat primary bevel with a secondary bevel.

For carvers, there's a saying, "If you can't sharpen, you can't carve." I suppose the same is true for woodworking chisels, "If you can't sharpen, you can't do furniture."

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I'm just disappointed that the digital tuner I use on my guitars doesn't work on my chisels......

but it might be useable for adjusting tension on my bandsaw blades.......
    I have trouble using the tuner on my chisels too. I'm always sharp.

Yes to 1 and 2. Hollow grind for 3. Everything is razor sharp so I can't complain.
    Don

Yes I sharpen my chisels, don't send them out and they're flat ground because I use a belt grinder...............Regards, Rod.