Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuego

Alan,
    I think you have pulled everything you could from that piece. Good form and the colors are alive. An excellent use of the resin as well. Great looking piece.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Alan,
    That's a turning I would really like to see in person, especially in good lighting. Beautiful job.
    faust

Alan, this is a bit different for you and it's nice seeing some diversions, and yours always leaves us scratching our heads on the details of how you carry it out in practice.

I like the color contrast, and the name seems appropriate. Very nice piece, I think leaving the opening intentionally large for the reason stated is a smart choice.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Great piece Alan. I love the color combo in this, but am a little concerned what the sun will do over time to the yellow Osage.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

congratulations for turning of the week on AAW board, btw.....very nice

Scott, Wally,

I understand your concern with the color. This piece acts very different from any osage that I have ever turned. I rough turned another piece for casting and it changed to brown overnight. This was rough turned for a couple of weeks before casting it sat in my truck in the sun and has never changed color. I am not sure why but I will keep my fingers crossed that it stays this way. But so far so good.

Again thanks to everyone for the nice comments.

Alan

Very intense piece Alan. While it doesn't "Pop" like the blues, it is spectacular.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Nate,

I have t agree. The reds just don't photograph as well as the blue pieces, and it really is hard to realize the visual impact without seeing in person. There is gold resin behind the red and it almost pops like a candy color paint job, it is a really neat effect but the photo's just don't show the visual depth. And thanks I appreciate the compliments.

Alan

Well done. You did a great job on the form and colors. BUT, I'LL BITE! What is mistletoe burl? I've never heard of it before?

Eric,

Mistletoe is a parasitic plant that grows on trees.We all know this but Mesquite in particular will burl around the parasitic plant and is the cause of the burl. I have never seen mistletoe in Osage Orange but these trees had them and they were acting much like mesquite and making burls around the parasitic growth.

Thanks,

Alan