Thread: DMT Diamond Wave or Diamond Honing Cones

DMT Diamond Wave or Diamond Honing Cones

Does anyone here have experience with the diamond wave or diamond honing cones? With a diamond grit and in- and out-radius's from 1/16" to 1" it looked almost like a tool*. Does it work well for things like hollows, beading and other molding-type planes?

* Paraphrased from Chris Schwarz's description of BBS "tools". <g>

http://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/b...-honing-cones/

Jim in Alaska
    Last edited by Jim Neeley; 02-27-2012 at 1:45 AM.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    I looked at conical sharpening stones at one time and tried to figure how you could use anymore than a very small area to sharpen a gouge or shaped blade without changing the profile.

Slip stones of different sizes and radii seem to work okay for me for plane blades and in cannel gouges.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you for your insight, Jim!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I have a "Wave" of DMT or other manufacturer and I find it about useless. As Jim observed one can only use just a little area to hone a rounded object such as a chisel.
    Keep your money.
    JT

I have never been inclined to buy one, partly because I already have slips and a powered strop for gouges.

Partly because I don't like the finish diamond leaves with deep grooves, i'd rather not have those to remove in carving tools.

Partly because I don't like to use diamonds long term for honing, it seems like they are the price of permanent stones, but their sharpening properties at any given time are transient.

I would much rather have an india slip and hard trans slip and a couple of powered wheels (one flat, one V shaped) for carving tools.