Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown Burr Oak Davenport

Brown Burr Oak Davenport

Firstly may I say hello - This is my first post on a transatlantic forum but am a cabinet maker in Norfolk England

I have been lurking in the background reading the posts for a for a little while but thought that it was about time I made my debut and not only introduced myself but let you see what I am currently working on.

The current project is a Traditional Davenport Desk constructed in Brown Burr Oak - a couple of photos are attached below:-

I am yet to make the internals which will be English Lacewood for contrast, and still got to look to polish it but am 47 hours into the project at the moment

I hope you approve and will update with photos when I have finished and polished it

Roger Berwick
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-27-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Removed personal website link.

Roger,

One word, WOW.

Where have you been? please keep posting.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Very nice Roger, the design and final product are top notch. That wood is super, wish I had access to that!!

What type of finish will you apply, please post when done.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Hi Jeff,

The timber I have been able to use for this project has been in my wood store for a number of years having obtained it from a cabinet maker who was retiring and wanted to sell his timber - I'm not sure how long he had it prior to me but over here it is a bit likes "hens teeth" and I have been keeping it for the right project.

It is probably going to be finished with a traditional shellac french polish in due course once all the floors in the burr have been carefully filled.

Roger,
    Really like the Davenport Desk. In most cases I woul dsay the wood fits the design, but I have a feeling that you came up with a special project to fit this very specail wood?? Either way, it looks great! I have only come across some of the veneer of Brown Oak Burl over here and it is indeed a specail look. I don't envy you filling the voids as I found that to be time consuming even on the veneer.

Keep us posted on finish.

Jim

Roger, welcome to SMC! Your Davenport Desk is exceptional!
    Please post pictures after you apply the finish. I bet the Brown Burr Oak will be stunning!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow! I have never seen wood like that.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

The Burr Brown Oak looks like this when its polished

this was a small bracket clock made from some of the same stock a few months ago

Rog

I think I would be afraid to work with wood like that for fear of messing it up.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

I agree with the others. This is a very nice piece. I would also love to have access. Is it true that I have heard that much of the timber in Europe has controlled logging. Especially in Germany. That is how so many of the oaks grow to be mighty oaks.

Been working on the Davenport again today and have started making the rise and fall at the back of the desk.

Moving from tradition and the counterbalancing of this with weights I have fitted a pair of small gas struts within the carcase so that they are fully concealed but on releasing the catch this section rises very smoothly.

I am using English Lacewood for the concealed sections which will give a nice contrast once polished - will get the small compartments within this section completed tomorrow.

Welcome and thanks for jumping in the Creek. That is absolutely stunning work. Please keep sharing.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Roger, that's an awesome piece you're working on. I look forward to more!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great way to make a splash in the Creek! Welcome Roger..

I can't wait see that figure pop! Tell me you're using an oil finish...

Todd