Thread: Witte number 4, made in West-Germany

Witte number 4, made in West-Germany

I didn't like the overpriced faux Stanleys imported from Dubai, God knows where in the world they have been manufactured. I wouldn't be surprised if they were produced in China, they don't look good.

I've recently discovered a hardware store that sells old stuff, brand new old stuff. I purchased a decent number four smoothing plane that was made in Germany before the fall of the Berlin wall, it cost me the equivalent of 43 USD. We were both very happy, myself and the old guy who sold me the thing.

I honed the sole and the blade and I'm happy like a 10 year old, I've never got surfaces that smooth! It still needs some tweaking though!

Never seen or heard of one, but at least it's made in West Germany. The tools that were made in the east are pretty spotty.

A plane is a plane, though, and when you get a good one, the feeling is the same regardless. Enjoy it.

It's too bad that the availability of tools everywhere else in the world isn't the same as it is here in the US and western europe.

It's not the best plane in the world you know, but it's better, faster and cheaper than my random orbital sander. I know at least that the blade is good. When you sharpen it, the particles hold on to it like they would to a magnet.

I also bought a 6 point per inch cross-cut hand saw. The trade mark is Augusta, made in W. Germany, it cost me about 8 USD. But it needs to be sharpened and that's gonna be tricky.

I'm having a hard time finding my tools especially the table saw. We have people who import for brands like Felder, ACM, Casolin, Griggio. But all what they have is monstrous beasts right out from hell! Small cast iron table saws, they never heard of. I'll have to get one from England or France. SIP and Record Power are made in England, they look alright. I've got to dig in to find a good machine.

Ciao.

Any photos of your Witte plane?

Maybe you can find a used Inca table saw, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    Any photos of your Witte plane?

Maybe you can find a used Inca table saw, etc.
    Forget about that junk. I only use pine, I could get smooth surfaces and even shavings, no hope with harder woods.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5553/dsc01946.gif

Why do you need a table saw?

If your lumberyard can supply you with material near your desired dimensions, you'll save money letting them handle it.
    Aside from the upfront cost, a table saw demands a great deal of floor space, and is one of the tools more often involved in permanent injury.

May I suggest you consider another approach, using a band saw as the center of your machining steps?
    A well-built circular saw with a straightedge will handle most (certainly not all) machining steps required of a tablesaw.

I try to get to through the flat and straight on six sides as quickly as possible.
    I'm interested in joinery and building things, and if I can get someone else to handle the drudgery, all the better.

jim
    wpt, ma
    usa

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Why do you need a table saw?

If your lumberyard can supply you with material near your desired dimensions, you'll save money letting them handle it.
    Aside from the upfront cost, a table saw demands a great deal of floor space, and is one of the tools more often involved in permanent injury.

May I suggest you consider another approach, using a band saw as the center of your machining steps?
    A well-built circular saw with a straightedge will handle most (certainly not all) machining steps required of a tablesaw.

I try to get to through the flat and straight on six sides as quickly as possible.
    I'm interested in joinery and building things, and if I can get someone else to handle the drudgery, all the better.

jim
    wpt, ma
    usa
    Thank you very much, Jim. I was going to ask that question to the members. The band saw used to be the most important tool in woodworking shops before the invention of the table saw.

Europe is the place where our people go to learn woodworking and it is also where the machinery comes from. There's no big market for the serious hobbyist in Europe.The majority of the table saws are built for the factory, not for the small shop. They are called "sliding tables" instead of "table saws". Band saws in the other hand are available in various sizes, brands and prices.

I'll think about it.

Ciao.