Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mom's

Mom's

Well here is another. I just got a chance to take a photo of this yesterday. I borrowed it from my mother because I never took pictures.

I did this about a year ago as a demo but it was approaching my mother's birthday. Like any good mother she loves the pieces I make and thought she would enjoy this piece.

This is a scrap of manzanita burl that I had left from another form. It was kind of a silk purse out of a sows ear. I hate wasting wood so I figured I would make this one work. It is pretty slender and decided I would not try to roll the bottom edge as the base is small enough.

The resin is a mixture of blue and lavender but not my typical blue lavender combination. I have to say this was one of my favorite color combinations that I have ever done and have not used it since. But it is in the plan at sometime to use it again.

It is about 6" high and about 3" or 3 1/4" in diameter. The finish is high gloss CA.

As always cheers and jeers welcome.

Thanks for looking

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Amazing colors, great job.

Allan,
    Totally first class. I really really like the Resin you are using. It simply makes these forms. Superb Work.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

One word.....AWESOME. Love everything about this piece.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Have to say, I am not normally a fan of resin work, but this is absolutely fabulous. Looks like a planet viewed from space. I love it.

Alan, your work always amazes me. This one is no different!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

It looks a lot like a globe. I think it would be cool do do one like that but cut the wood into the shape of the continents before casting it so when you turn it it ends up looking like a globe.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Beautiful Alan. I can see why she loves it so much.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful. +1 on the globe resemblance.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Everyone thanks compliments.

It is always tough getting these back from my mother for photo's. She has a few of my pieces and hates to let them go. What can I say both my mother and father are great people that love their son and likes the things he makes.

Alan

Absolutely gorgeous Alan. The colors are so bright and vivid and the form is first class as always.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    What can I say both my mother and father are great people that love their son and likes the things he makes.

Alan
    Alan, having spent some time with you, and having seen your work up close and personal, I can understand the feelings of your parents on both counts!! Personally, I like the other blue resin mixture you have used better, but then, colors are such a personal thing. Great form and another great piece!

As someone else said, normally these hybrids don't appeal to me, but this one does - beautiful coloring & contrast!
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

For those of us who would be happy to be able to turn a 2x2 into a dowel do you mind telling us how you cast the resin?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

At first I wasn't sure that I liked the blue resin, but then saw the whole ocean and continents thing and it quickly grew on me. No wonder your mother likes it...
    I drink, therefore I am.