Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For those watching the Daytona 500...........

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Yeah, I sort of assumed that much. I figured it would work like a giant blow dryer. It's sort of like the asphalt equivalent of a zamboni?

But a JET ENGINE? Couldn't a giant fan achieve the same thing?
    And to turn this giant fan, what would you use? Really that's all the jet engine is. A giant fan with a motor attached.

and a jet engine..... ...it's blowing hot air which helps dry the track too. Warm or hot air will dry the track faster than cold air just pushed by a fan.

There was no logical argument for that jet engine to be hit by a driver/car under a yellow flag. Absolutely no logical reason. Juan Pablo ought to be forced to drive for the rest of the season with a sign covering the hood of his car that says "I'm an irresponsible idiot".
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A jet engine is pretty much the most efficient way to move lots and lots of air. And it heats it in the process, which helps with drying.

Keep in mind, too, that these are the huge turbines off a 747, they're more than likely small or mid-sized helicopter turbines.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    and a jet engine..... ...it's blowing hot air which helps dry the track too. Warm or hot air will dry the track faster than cold air just pushed by a fan.

There was no logical argument for that jet engine to be hit by a driver/car under a yellow flag. Absolutely no logical reason. Juan Pablo ought to be forced to drive for the rest of the season with a sign covering the hood of his car that says "I'm an irresponsible idiot".
    Agree with that. You would almost have to see that to believe it. Under a caution, That truck moving real slow llike that up at the top of the track and the car finds a way to hit him ???

I think Juan needs a drug test.

PHM

Who pays for that?

Every time I see a NASCAR car it is like the whole thing is covered in sponsors' stickers and labels.

Who pays for that?

Every time I see a NASCAR car it is like the whole thing is covered in sponsors' stickers and labels.
    It's like any sporting event.....the sponsors pay advertising dollars to advertise on the cars or sponsor a car, the fans in the stands pay, then there is the television revenue, and the television company makes advertising dollars.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-28-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    Ken

On a different note...............

I needed a father/son outting for me and my oldest son, a local deputy sheriff. So.....3/16 we fly to Knoxville and we'll be in Bristol for the Nextel and Sprint Cup races on 3/17 and 3/18.

Would you believe the deaf guy (me) is taking his Bose noice cancelling headphones? I am!
    Ken

They use trucks with jet engines on them to dry the track? Seriously?
    Yep. Here's a video of it.
    Montoya ought to have stayed in open wheeled cars.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?...montoya-022712

Uh, Ken. It's Nationwide now. But that's OK. Some people keep calling it Busch league.
    I take ear plugs when we go. Bristol can be especially brutal on the hearing.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 02-28-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Myk.....sorry. Obviously I watch Sprint Cup and not the other but............ since we are traveling so far we decided to attend both races.

If it really gets bad Myk, I will turn off my cochlear implant and remove my hearing aid from the other ear and hear "nada". The noise cancelling headphones allow me to remove constant source noises and still hear people speak, announcers etc. Primarily I use them when flying. It removes the jet noise but allows me to hear the crew announcements.
    Ken

What are the odds of a guy hitting a safety vehicle under a yellow flag?
    Juan in a million! hahahahaha!

But seriously, something broke in his car. He complained of a vibration through all the gears and when he tapped the brakes the car spun out. So maybe a brake rotor was broken or the rear diff locked up or something. The same thing happened to his team mate later in the race so it seems they got some bad parts from somewhere.

Juan Pablo ought to be forced to drive for the rest of the season with a sign covering the hood of his car that says "I'm an irresponsible idiot".
    We listen to both Bowyers and Harvicks radios during the races. Both of them hate driving around the 42 and have their spotters try to get them away from him. One of the guys at work says the 42 is his favorite driver.... now I can tease him about it all day! Bowyer has JPMs old crew chief and even he makes fun of him on the radio!

Blog Entries
    Too funny Bryan...

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post

But seriously, something broke in his car. He complained of a vibration through all the gears and when he tapped the brakes the car spun out. So maybe a brake rotor was broken or the rear diff locked up or something. The same thing happened to his team mate later in the race so it seems they got some bad parts from somewhere.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That made me LOL! Thanks Bryan.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    On a different note...............

I needed a father/son outting for me and my oldest son, a local deputy sheriff. So.....3/16 we fly to Knoxville and we'll be in Bristol for the Nextel and Sprint Cup races on 3/17 and 3/18.

Would you believe the deaf guy (me) is taking his Bose noice cancelling headphones? I am!
    Ken, I am soooo jealous! I would love the go to a Bristol race! LOML & I have Uniden race scanner headsets that let you listen in on your favorite drivers during the race. They work really well to muffle the track noise.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I love it. LOL
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night