Thread: Convert a Kreg right angle clamp to a face clamp

Convert a Kreg right angle clamp to a face clamp

Here's something I thought up while edge joining some boards. I needed some extra reach, since the Kreg face clamp didn't have enough.

I took a 2" square of oak, made a rounded 1/4" deep x about 3/8" diameter depression on one side in the centre to receive the "pin" part of the Kreg right-angle clamp. Voila! A larger face clamp. It's cheaper than springing $35 for the larger face clamp from Kreg. Besides, I got the right-angle clamp a freebie with the Pro kit.

Now, if only I can find a way to stop the block from falling off!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bryan Nuss; 03-22-2005 at 4:04 PM.
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Nuss
    Here's something I thought up while edge joining some boards. I needed some extra reach, since the Kreg face clamp didn't have enough.

I took a 2" square of oak, made a rounded 1/4" deep x about 3/8" diameter depression on one side in the centre to receive the "pin" part of the Kreg right-angle clamp. Voila! A larger face clamp. It's cheaper than springing $35 for the larger face clamp from Kreg. Besides, I got the right-angle clamp a freebie with the Pro kit.

Now, if only I can find a way to stop the block from falling off!
    Neat idea, thanks for sharing it now some improvements that I could think of are as follows:

1. Epoxy the wood to clamp
    2. Add some cork to the oak so that there is less of a chance to mark the surface
    3. put some wax on the face of the cork so there is less of a chance of it sticking from squeeze out.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Excellent idea.

Good Idea!!

Maybe you can drill a hole 90 degres to the one you have and glue a rare earth magnet in it. That should hold the block in place.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Great idea, Bryan! As for keeping the block on, I assume you don't want it permanent, so that you can still use the clamp for its intended purpose. How about squeezing in some silicon caulk? Should hold it and would clean off reasonbly easy.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Bryan,

What a simple, yet great idea! I sure didn't think of it. I have had a need for a second clamp and didn't have one. Now I do!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

what about threading the post and turnind the wood piece on?

Lightbulb

Scott - you really don't want to rigidly attach the block to the post .. you want a swivel effect.

Now that I think of it, you could put a section of dowel into a swivel foot for a chair/table and counterbore the dowel to accept the post!!
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.