Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I sell my band saw??

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Good point, wait till Jet raises their prices $100 to $200 this year and sell it for half of new.
    Do like I do hold onto something then try to see it when the manufacturer decides to put the new ones on super extra sale...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I agree with the others here. I sold my 14" saw when I upgraded to a MM16. I should have kept the 14" for curve cutting. Now I am on a quest for another 14" bandsaw. If you have the room hang on to it.

Thanks all

Perhaps the most unanimous bandsaw thread ever......

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    I have 2, an 18 and a 14. Keep 'em both if you can, you won't regret it.
    + 1 on that. When I got my 18" Rikon I kept the old 14" Rockwell with a 1/4" blade on it for cutting curves. If you have the space and don't need the money from selling the Jet then by all means keep it. As was noted in an earlier post, you can always change your mind later.

I'm late to the party. I haven't read the rest of the thread. Without even reading any of the responses I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that I almost certainly agree with all the responses you got. It's a no brainer.

I have a large bandsaw and I'm thinking of bringing in a second one to dedicate to ripping and resawing. I'm not sure I need 50 bandsaws like Van, but two seems quite reasonable....almost minimalistic, actually. LOL.

John, with the prices of industrial machines so low today you may get lucky and find a straight line rip saw, given the way they are designed they are even safer than a BS for ripping. A few years ago the prices would have made my suggestion ridiculous for anyone that didn't rip all day long but today you see machines like that go for the price of a good bandsaw, but they aren't as easy to find.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I would keep them both. I sold my 14" grizzly band saw before bought my 17" grizzly. got tired of changing blades and a 14" Delta deal fell my way...

purely personal choice

I would think everyone could have a different answer and it would depend upon your own personal situation.
    I think you should figure out for your own situation as everyone else's is going to be different.
    You need to ask yourself:
    How long does it take to change the blade on your saw?
    How often do you need to change blades to do curves?
    How much space do you have?
    We all have different tradeoffs, but I suppose given plenty of space and money, I'd have at least 3 bandsaws, never mind 2.
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan eagle View Post
    I would think everyone could have a different answer and it would depend upon your own personal situation.

But the only right answer is more bandsaws!

I think you should figure out for your own situation as everyone else's is going to be different.

Everyone will have a different answer and the correct ones will be two or more bandsaws.

You need to ask yourself:
    How long does it take to change the blade on your saw?

Too long.

How often do you need to change blades to do curves?

Often enough to need at least two bandsaws.

How much space do you have?

If it is not enough for all your bandsaws you need additional shop space or use the living room, who really uses their living room anyway???

We all have different tradeoffs, but I suppose given plenty of space and money, I'd have at least 3 bandsaws, never mind 2.

Now thats what I am talking about!!!
    Jonathan
    All in jest, well kinda.

You're crazy if you get rid of it! Someday, when I have more money and space, I'll buy a 17-20" saw. Will I sell off my Delta 14"? Never. I do a lot of curved work, so the Delta would keep a 1/4" or smaller blade at all times, while the bigger saw would only see rip/resaw duty.

Can you have too many tools? Kind of like asking can you have too many friends, or too much money, or too many guns etc.........

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    All in jest, well kinda.
    I agree with Van. I have a 10 inch Delta Shopmaster with a 1/4 blade, a 10 inch Delta Homecraft (I just finished restoring it) with Carter guides and an 1/8 blade, and a 19 inch Grizzly with a 3/4 inch Woodslicer resaw blade. I use them all.
    Wood'N'Scout

Ok, I am going to be the lone dissenter.
    It really depends on how much BS work you do and how much space you have.
    I have an 18" now. I used to have a 14". The 14" was a really nice saw.
    I initially regretted selling the 14", but now I'm glad I did.
    Get a Carter stablizer for the larger saw, that makes using smaller blades (1/4") much easier. (Maybe this isn't necessary for a Lugana).
    Seriously, changing blades on a bandsaw and readjusting the bearings takes maybe 5 minutes, if that.
    This reminds me of people that use combination blades in a table saw, because they think it takes too long to change between ripping and crosscut blades. If you just have a hobby shop, why the big hurry? Why are blade changes seen as such a PITA? I guess I just don't understand.
    A bigger PITA for me is having a big machine in the shop that seldom gets used. No matter how big your shop is, a seldom used machine will get in the way.

Unless you spend a ton of time on the BS, I don't see the need for two saws. Organize your workflow to minimize blade changes.

Paul's trying to hammer you on price, and buy your old saw

Just kidding !
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

I gave away my old Craftsman 12" bs when I got my MM16, only to find that small blades don't work on the MM16. Luckily the person wasn't using the 12" so I got it back, put a 1 1/2HP grizzly motor on with Carter guides and use it more than the MM16. I keep a 1 1/4" Resaw King on the MM16 and use the Craftsman for most everything else. Much easier to use, blades are a LOT less expensive since they are shorter, and really doesn't take up much room.

Naturally my suggestion - KEEP the old one, you won't regret it.