Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I sell my band saw??

Should I sell my band saw??

Quick poll.

I recently upgraded to a beautiful Laguna LT18.

And then posted my prior Jet 14" saw for sale. But before it sold, I have been leaving it setup and using the smaller blades. Of course I can do this on the Laguna - but its kinda nice not to have to switch blades back and forth all the time.

I dont have a lot of space, but do many of you have TWO bandsaws and leave them set up for this purpose? (or do you find you do most of your work on one, and leave a particular blade in it all the time?)

(because of course, you cant have too may bandsaw threads.....)

I've technically got two band saws, but one of them is currently being refurbished. Once it's finished, I'll still have two. My Shopsmith band saw is the best little saw I've ever touched!

If you need neither the room, nor the money, I wouldn't sell it.
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    If you need neither the room, nor the money, I wouldn't sell it.
    Great advice and I agree.
    -Brian

I have a Delta and thinking of upgrading this summer. I am going through the same thought process, leave a small blade on the Delta and a bigger blade on the new saw. Looking forward to all the responses.

Wonder what people think I will say?

In my opinion 2 is just a start and going back to one would be a shame.

If you have the room and don't need the cash keep it, you will know pretty soon if you like/love having two or the Jet just becomes a dust magnet. You can always sell it later.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I sold my 14" Delta when I bought my MM16. I wish I had kept it. I ended up buying the little 10" Rikon just to do small stuff on.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have 2, an 18 and a 14. Keep 'em both if you can, you won't regret it.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Blog Entries
    This question is often asked by those who upgrade. Speaking as one who sold his smaller saw before getting the larger saw, and then bought another smaller saw to get that function back; keep it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep - like the others said keep it unless you want to upgrade the small saw and can make a profit doing it.

I seem to bring small bandsaws into town for my friends LOL.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

i would say keep it. i started out with a big bandsaw, it does everything i want it to. however there are sometimes i feel it would be nice to have a second bandsaw.

It really depends upon where you live. I have a 20 Agganazzi and love it but keep thinking it would also be nice to have a smaller 14 or so for the smaller stuff, etc. So, if you live close to me, my candid and completely objective and disinterested response would be: Best to sell it (to me); so very sorry it isn't worth much.

Now, if you live outside my geographical sphere, my response would be: Are you nuts? We only acquire tools, never discard. If one is good, two are great, three - though- might be a bit much. Wouldn't want to be viewed as a hoarder.

My vote: keep it and see how you feel in a few months, the value won't change much between now and then. Your use or lack of use during that time will give you the answer and you won't have to second guess yourself.

Good point, wait till Jet raises their prices $100 to $200 this year and sell it for half of new.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm inclined to agree with Mike - if it's not a daily user, ask a high price and see if it sells.

If it's not in the way, it might come in handy. If someone really wants it, that will buy lots of new blades for the Laguna.