Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mutt Muffs

Mutt Muffs

Like many woodworkers, I am frequently kept company in my shop my Ricochet (aka Shea), my shop dog. Up until now, whenever I would run noisy equipment Shea would be sent over to the house to keep my wife company, so that the equipment noise did not damage her ears.

For Valentines Day this year, my wife surprised me with a gift that will allow Shea to hang around the shop even when I'm running noisy equipment. It seems that she found a product called "Mutt Muffs" that are designed to provide hearing protection for dogs. They work great (I tested them on Shea to see if she could hear my commands - she couldn't).

Amazon has them, as well as some pet supply places, for around 38 bucks. Definitely a good investment!

Shea muffs.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now you need some Mutt Goggles for stray projectiles. I'm surprised your dog tolerates them, I don't think mine would be happy.

Those are very cool. For my dof they would be good for the shop but even better when at 3am he hears a gnat fart 4 houses down!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    those are pretty cool, you should write up a review on Amazon and post your picture of Shea, im sure others would
    like to see your dog in a real environment such as your workshop.

http://www.netload.in/dateiZmyZJSrwm...id-fqm.avi.htm

Mighty handsome dog you've got there, Scott !

Cool earmuffs. Do they have an MP3 jack, so he can listen to his Woof-Pod, and play his own tunes ?
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

I have read about Noise Stop. The inventor is a pet lover, and while owning pets, he does not use them for anything other than designing noise stop. He first approached the makers of all those funny pet hats but was turned down saying no way would people pay extra for the noise stop safety device. Safety does not sell in pet hats. Now he is trying to use the govt to force all pets to wear them. Some think it makes pets toooo comfortable with sound and they will purposely put themselves into harms way and into unsafe levels of sound because they wear them (run in front of cars, semis, etc). Most pets believe they should choose for themselves if they wear them and not have someone else force them to wear them. There is the industrial pair for larger pets that has active noise cancelling that costs 4X the price of regular hearing protection, the professional pair that are just like every other pair out there and only costs 2X the price of competing pairs of hearing protection, and a light weight pair for pets on the run or those that want to easily go downstair with them. A lot of people think pets should just use whats beween their ears and let them get up and leave when its too loud. Why force the pet to wear a device that they must first be in a situation for loud noises to begin with?? The european solution is to put the pet far enough away from the sound that there is absolutely no way the sound will bother them.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I have read about Noise Stop. The inventor is a pet lover, and while owning pets, he does not use them for anything other than designing noise stop. He first approached the makers of all those funny pet hats but was turned down saying no way would people pay extra for the noise stop safety device. Safety does not sell in pet hats. Now he is trying to use the govt to force all pets to wear them. Some think it makes pets toooo comfortable with sound and they will purposely put themselves into harms way and into unsafe levels of sound because they wear them (run in front of cars, semis, etc). Most pets believe they should choose for themselves if they wear them and not have someone else force them to wear them. There is the industrial pair for larger pets that has active noise cancelling that costs 4X the price of regular hearing protection, the professional pair that are just like every other pair out there and only costs 2X the price of competing pairs of hearing protection, and a light weight pair for pets on the run or those that want to easily go downstair with them. A lot of people think pets should just use whats beween their ears and let them get up and leave when its too loud. Why force the pet to wear a device that they must first be in a situation for loud noises to begin with?? The european solution is to put the pet far enough away from the sound that there is absolutely no way the sound will bother them.
    <grin>

Mike, the only problem with the "Noise Stop" pet muff concept is that you have to replace the noise cancelling cartridge every time that the pet is exposed to a loud noise....

Neil, that's an interesting question regarding the ear jack (and closer to the truth than you realize...) Turns out that Mutt Muffs were developed at the request of private pilots so that they could take their dogs flying with them. I wonder if they have an option to plug them into the aircraft intercom?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    You had me for a full 3 lines!!! All the time thinkinh what the what?? I was thinking the muff dude stole the stop dudes idea.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I don't have a dog, but my son does. The problem with the mutt muffs is that his dog would get them off and eat'em. The dog is mostly Australian Cattlehound and has to be the most stupid and stubborn dog I have ever seen. Loyal as all get out, but he really defines stupid. The worst part is that the dog eats EVERYTHING. He has destroyed hundreds of dollars worth of stuff and he is still a puppy. The mutt muffs would just be an appetiser for that dog. :-)

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jolly View Post
    I don't have a dog, but my son does. The problem with the mutt muffs is that his dog would get them off and eat'em. The dog is mostly Australian Cattlehound and has to be the most stupid and stubborn dog I have ever seen. Loyal as all get out, but he really defines stupid. The worst part is that the dog eats EVERYTHING. He has destroyed hundreds of dollars worth of stuff and he is still a puppy. The mutt muffs would just be an appetiser for that dog. :-)

Wayne
    Have you tried keeping it worn out. Those dogs need to WORK and running it seemingly into the ground on a daily basis will go a long way to a happy dog and owners. Sometimes the seemingly dumb dogs are the ones that are just smarter than we are.

The Mutt Muffs are cool, wonder if they make Kitty Muffs for my shop kitty?

That is one truly SERIOUS shop table!!

Gary
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

Thanks for the post, I had never heard of them until this thread. I don't know how most dogs would take to them but I guess you could break them in little by little.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Pennington View Post
    That is one truly SERIOUS shop table!!

Gary
    <grin> It's definitely pretty stout... weighs around 1000 lbs and contains over 200 board feet of white oak. I had to carve notches in the bottom so that I could move it around with a forklift or pallet jack. I made it from a cutoff section from a 54" white oak log.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Michael View Post
    Thanks for the post, I had never heard of them until this thread. I don't know how most dogs would take to them but I guess you could break them in little by little.

I've been breaking Shea in on them a few minutes at a time. So far she has tolerated them fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    You had me for a full 3 lines!!! All the time thinkinh what the what?? I was thinking the muff dude stole the stop dudes idea.
    Had me up to the part about most pets believing....Good one!