Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions...

Decisions, decisions...

This is a follow up to an earlier post asking for advice on what additional items to purchase to augment my workshop.

OK, so I narrowed down my options to the following five groups of stuff. Each totals around $1,800 and I’d like to know which group everyone would pick if they were in my shoes:

Group #1
    Dowelmax
    Festool CT 26 E HEPA Dust Collector
    Rotex RO125 FEQ 5” Sander
    MFT/3 Multifunction Table (or Festool TS 55 EQ Plunge Saw)

Group #2
    Dowelmax
    Norseman 21 Piece Drill Bit Set
    Rockler 3 Row Ball Bearing Stand
    Grizzly G0656PX 8” Spiralhead Cutter Jointer

Group #3
    Dowelmax
    Grizzly G0656P 8” Jointer
    Rockler 6” “Sure-Foot” F-Style Clamp (x10)
    Rockler 12” “Sure-Foot” F-Style Clamp (x10)
    Jet 24” Parallel Clamps (x4)

Group #4
    Dowelmax
    MLCS Mitered Door/Drawer Frame Kit
    MLCS 12 Degree Face & Quarter Round Raised Panel Bit
    MLCS Architecture Molding Bit
    MLCS Plywood Straight Bit Set
    Bessey Vario Angle Strap Clamp
    Rockler 6” “Sure-Foot” F-Style Clamp (x10)
    Rockler 12” “Sure-Foot” F-Style Clamp (x10)
    Jet 24” Parallel Clamps (x6)
    Jet 40” Parallel Clamps (x6)
    Jet 50” Parallel Clamps (x6)

Group #5
    Dowelmax
    Festool TS 55 EQ Plunge Saw
    Festool CT 26 E HEPA Dust Collector
    MLCS Mitered Door/Drawer Frame Kit
    MLCS 12 Degree Face & Quarter Round Raised Panel Bit
    MLCS Architecture Molding Bit
    MLCS Plywood Straight Bit Set
    Bessey Vario Angle Strap Clamp
    Harbor Freight 6” Bar Clamp (x10)
    Harbor Freight 12” Bar Clamp (x10)
    Harbor Freight 24” Bar Clamp (x10)

Hmmm I think you want a Dowelmax. Very varied list and I would have to know more about your shoes. Looking over the lists the first thing that hits me is do you have a jointer? If not then #2 or #3 is a no brainer. If not let us know more about what/how you build.

BTW Bill Huber did a review on a comparison to the Jess em doweling jig and it is cheaper, he sold his Dowelmax:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=dowel

Just food for thought
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 02-28-2012 at 5:51 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I do not have a specific opinion but I am sure that people would chime in if they knew what you already had and what you wanted to build. In your earlier post you wrote "I already have a table saw, band saw, lathe, drill press, planer, 2 routers, a small variety of clamps, a spindle sander, belt/disc sander, jigsaw, dust collector, small air compressor/brad nailer, among a few other odds and ends." I am no expert but I have figured that a table saw, jointer and planer would be a must have. You mentioned no jointer so based on that it would be 2 or 3. Good luck.

Here is the link to my previous thread, in case it helps:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-do-what-to-do

Here's a curve ball. Get the jointer and some of the clamps and then put the rest in the tool fund. Once you start working on various projects you have some money left to buy something you may need. Ex, you need a few router bits for a cabinet or a shelf jig, you have the cash to get them.

I'd still pick up a good set of chisels and a #4 plane and backsaw. The power tools are great but sometimes you need a chisel or need to make a small cut and a hand saw is better then the tablesaw.

Just my 2 cents. good luck
    Don

I'm sorry but I just can't get through all those items.....way too much info there

I will however offer the same advice I feel would help people a lot more if they followed it.....buy what you need, as you need it. I've never really subscribed to buying things b/c you may need them someday, or b/c someone else thinks it's a must have......with the exception of getting an amazing deal on it Leave the money you've set aside in an account specifically for woodworking. When you find you need a certain tool, cutter, piece of wood, veneer, etc.....buy it!

that's the best advice I can give....good luck,
    JeffD

I will chime in with buying as a project demands it.

But some basics to consider might include:

One small block plane. One Jack plane. A set of chisels. (I just dont see how you can do any project without these.....).

I would probably add the jointer right up front.

And a random orbit sander.

Then decide what I wanted to build. Get wood (dont forget to budget for wood!!). Then add tools as needed to complete that particular project.

Plan your project & then get the tools you need. Then keep adding as you go. I've bought tools because being a person that has to have the next cool tool & then never use it, it adds up. I have a bunch of stuff I'd like to sell seeing that I didn't use as I thought I would, but to busy/lazy to post it. Buy as you need .

Just FYI- I received an e-mail today from Woodcraft that Festool prices go up tomorrow March 1st. 3% to 5%
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Group #1 doesn't make a lot of sense (IMHO).

The MFT/3 really comes into it's own when it's used with the track system - for the saws and/or the routers.

Is the Rotex sander that much ($$$) better than the less expensive ETS models?

If you don't have a jointer, this is a no brainer. Buy a jointer, then put the rest away and pick up tools as you need them. The only thing worse than not having the right tool for the job is having a shop cluttered with the wrong tools for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Is the Rotex sander that much ($$$) better than the less expensive ETS models?
    Apples and oranges, the Rotex is a dual mode sander, the ETS is a ROS only, the Rotex is ginificantly more powerful as well.

http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/...e%20sander.pdf

I am not a fan of the "die grinder" type sanders but they have their uses.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Buy what you need, as you need it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Buy what you need, as you need it.

And keep an eye on Craigslist and other local ads for hand tools & small items like the clamps and router bits. You'll save enough money that you can afford to buy a lot of that kind of stuff before you need it.

Kirk