Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My best friend, gone too soon

Very sorry for your loss.

Someone once said "Dogs don't live long enough, while people live too long." I can really relate to that sentiment on many a day.

After having to put down our 14 year old 'puppy' just before Christmas I understand your pain and loss. Our Vet gave us a copy of this. Hope it helps:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I am very sorry!

Losing a 4 leg friend is really tough!

She looks like she was a great dog. Take comfort in knowing you did the right thing for her, instead of prolonging her life for selfish reasons.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.
    -Sidney Jeanne Seward

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I had to have my "Best Buddy" put to sleep many years ago. I still miss him.
    Our Daughter had a great Retriever that was mauled by a neighbor dog. Injuries were just too much to repair.
    I made a scroll saw picture of Casey for her.

0618001212.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've posted it before. I post it now. And unfortunately, I will post it again down the road.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So this is where we part, My Friend,
    Where you'll run on around the bend.
    Gone from sight but not from mind,
    New pleasures there you'll surely find.

One long embrace before you leave.
    Share one last look before I grieve.
    I will go on. I'll find the strength.
    Life measures quality, not it's length.

There will be others, that much is true,
    But they are they, and they aren't you.
    And I, the Master, or so I thought,
    Remember well all that you taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed.
    The fur I stroked. The nose I kissed.
    And as you journey in your rest,
    Take with you this....I loved you best.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife Alex. We've recently lost our two "oldsters" 13 and 14.5 years . A little piece of you dies and leaves with them, but their memories comfort us forever.

Baxter Black, "Cowboy Poet", has a poem about the loss of his dog. It is definitely worth viewing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkL9PoOABPE
    Our best buds are surely more than "Just a Dog". We have unfortunately had to put down two of our German Shorthairs over the years, both lived a long life of 14 years, and they forever hold a special place in our hearts. We have number 3 in our home now. Kricket is now 6 and a true joy and companion. We understand your loss and grieve with you.

Here is our girl as a pup and now.

March 30_DSCN0013_resized.jpg2011-08-13_11-10-31_74_resized.jpg

Blessings,
    Ed
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -- Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    yep, very sorry for your loss. i know exactly what your going through and its very hard to deal with!
    pets are exactly like family so its a tremendous amount of pain when we lose one of them.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Alex, that is a heartbreaker. You & your family have my sympathies.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I now the feeling we had to have one put down at the first of last year for cancer.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

I don't know any of you yet, but as a "owner" of a dog who has had his best years, I really feel for you. One thing you know about dogs: you love them and they break your hearts. But to my mind the love they give you by far outweighs the pain they cause.

Steve