Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Tooth Maple HF

Big Tooth Maple HF

Big Tooth Maple is one of the prettiest trees that grow here in our desert climate. http://extension.usu.edu/range/Woody/bigtoothmaple.htm It has some really brilliant color in the fall. I found a big one (about 14" diameter) that was blown over so I decided to salvage the wood. Most of it was hollow and rotten even up into the small branches. But I got some small pieces of wood from it. I've been roughing some things from it but this is a piece I turned start to finish last night and them used the infamous Keith Burns 10 minute finish on tonight. It's 5" x 3". The little finial, knob, whatever is also from the same wood but was much lighter.

BT Maple HF.jpgBT Maple HF1.jpgBT Maple HF2.jpg

Nice job, Curt! I like it!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Big Leaf Maple is one of my favorite woods, but Big Tooth Maple is pretty dang nice looking. I've never heard of it over hear on the east coast. I really like the form that you used, and like the handle too. I think it would look equally nice with a delicate finial. Great stuff!

Looks great Curt! Neat looking wood!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Curt, I like some of these simple, but elegant forms you are doing! Thanks for the link on the maple - interesting tree. I was surprised at the size, and at 14", the one you found was exceptionally large. Really nice color in the heartwood.

What a striking piece of wood. Love you kept the shape simple to show it off.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Great job, nice contrast, interesting piece.

Sure is some pretty wood! Love the contrast!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice HF. I think the knob/finial goes extreemly wellwith the form. Never heard of this tree either, thanks for the education.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

As I mentioned on the WTA forum, I really like this form and very interesting wood. I think the knob goes beautifully but it makes me think that this would work well as a functional lidded box in the style of your recent pine box series, especially if you were able to match the heartwood/sapwood pattern on the lid. Just a thought.

11. Simplicity on a unique piece of wood...........somehow it has understated elegance................you put a nice form on this Curt, and it really shines for the beauty nature creates in the wood, and you have maximized the potential for this piece of wood.

Until your post I had never heard of big tooth maple.............thanks for bringing us all new knowledge!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

very nice, great wood

Great shape to show off that great piece of wood Curt. Very striking with the extreme contrast in color.

Curt that is a sweet little box.

Cool piece Curt. Love the wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.