Thread: anybody use automotive clear coat?`

anybody use automotive clear coat?`

I recently made some wineglasses, I bought the bowl part from craft supplies and then turned some walnut for the bases. They came out real nice but I am concerned about the durability of the finish on the walnut base. One fellow that I gave some too suggested I use some clear coat, he had used some on the ash wood bed of a 49 chevrolet pickup that he restored and was having good luck with it, apparently it is common to use it on these restored pu beds. Anyway, I have a dozed bases turned for my next batch of wineglasses. I put four coats of wipe on poly on them, would I get more protection from moisture and alcohol by putting on a couple of coats of the clearcoat? Anybody have any thoughts about compatibility with the wop? thanks in advance Jared

Not much help here, but I'll wonder out loud with you. I'm thinking the clear coat - acrylic lacquer? - would not work over WOP. Don't think that would be compatible. If the wine glasses aren't soaked in water to wash, I'd think the WOP would be adequate but using just clearcoat might give you a little different looking finish. I'd think the bigger issue might be where the wood joins with the glass and water getting there and soaking into the end grain and distorting the color, etc. of the wood there.

Yep,

I have used automotive clears but it is pretty expensive. On my larger pieces I use a product called Fullerplast. It can be purchased from Gemini Coatings. It is not cheap either but a lot cheaper than automotive clear. It is a cataylized varnish but in reality it is a acid cataylized alkyd enamel, so it is very similar to a automotive finish and it is very durable and pretty easy to spray.

Good Luck

Alan

Jared, my day job is selling automotive paint, I have been using it on wood since urethane clears first came out. They work great, downside, you need a spray gun, they are expensive and extremely hazardous, by law you can not put your waste material down the drain, in your garbage or pour it on the fence line, to kill the grass. If you decide to take it to a body shop, for disposal, the EPA can fine you $10,000 for transporting a hazardous material, with out a permit.

If you know some one that has a body shop, get them to paint it for you, If you give them some thing that you have turned, most will do it for nothing

Jared, Larry seems to have given you the answer you needed. But I have to say something about your question... You asked if you would get more protection from moisture and alcohol by putting on a couple of coats of the clearcoat... If anyone spills any alcohol on the glass, it is considered a party foul and the consequences are far greater than what will happen to the finish on the wood...just sayin'.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    I use it to finish my humidors. Great success so far.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

A custom shotgun stock maker I know uses only automotive clear. But as far as compatibility w wop I'm not sure of. Mike Cruz has a very valid point IMO.

Blog Entries
    You may want to put a shellac seal coat before you try automotive clear coat.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

you put a heavy coat of clear on, let it soak in, use that as your sealer, sand smooth with 320 wet /dry and apply 2-3 coats of clear.

I tried a gallon. itis clear but it must go on wood over a specific vinyl sanding sealer. i was not crazy about it but not sure why. it did sand funny and poorly for me. just my 2 cents--------------old forester