Thread: Another use for the laser...

Another use for the laser...

...creating dummy electrical enclosures before committing to metal. This enclosure was built from thin MDF to help the electrical engineer work out wiring details. If there are any changes, we'd rather not find out AFTER our minimum run of pre-production metal enclosures are built.

box_2.jpg
    Built from .118" MDF from Home Depot.
    box_1.jpg
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Hey doug, you could probably cut that with 600 to 800 GSM Artboard (white thick ridgid cardboard) from an Art Supply or Stationery Shop for half the price and quicker too!.
    I use Artboard all the time to make templates. An added advantage is that you can write on art board with a pen easily. Just a thought.
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cox View Post
    Hey doug, you could probably cut that with 600 to 800 GSM Artboard (white thick ridgid cardboard) from an Art Supply or Stationery Shop for half the price and quicker too!.
    I use Artboard all the time to make templates. An added advantage is that you can write on art board with a pen easily. Just a thought.
    Not a bad idea. There is one thing about this enclosure though. Once it's loaded with 12 duplex sockets, 12 relays, a breaker bus with breakers, controller, transformers, etc... it gets quite heavy. I'm concerned that it may not be strong enough as it is. I might have to reenforce the glue joints.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Nicely done!
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    Once it's loaded with 12 duplex sockets, 12 relays, a breaker bus with breakers, controller, transformers, etc... it gets quite heavy. I'm concerned that it may not be strong enough as it is. I might have to reenforce the glue joints.
    That was my thinking... I'd probably leave it wood.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5