Thread: Instructions/hardware for keller jig

Instructions/hardware for keller jig

In an attempt to save a little money, I bought the 1601 keller dovetail templates, on ebay, minus the instructions mounting hardware etc. . I am hoping there may be an easy place to find a copy of manual/instructions.Or if anyone that has the jig, can tell Me the type mounting screws used.Any input from users of the keller jig, greatly appreciated. thanks,, Chris..

I don't think I have my manual anymore, but they are available directly from Keller. Maybe this video will suffice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2l3zeWLD20

For the 1601 Keller says that you need: "two (2) backing blocks, one each for the Pin and Dovetail Template. Use a stable, kiln-dired wood (e.g. poplar, maple, v.g. fir, white pine, laminated plywood). Plane and joint the blocks so thay are square and true: no bow, cup or twist."

They recommend that the blocks be 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 22" (approximate) and that you use (4) #12 x 1-3/4" Flat Head screws to mount the Dovetail Template and (4) #12 x 1-3/4" Pan Head screws with #10 washers to mount the Pin Template.

Mounting the Dovetail Template
    Each of the templates has a scribed line on the bottom suface, parallel to the long edges. Clamp one of the backing blocks to the Dovetail Template, with the front edge of the block lining up with the scribed line on the Template. (the scribed line should be 3/8" from the back end of the slots on the 1601). Drill the proper sized holes for the screws, and fasten firmly. The projecting ends of the block are useful for clamping the assembled Template to wider work.

The instructions for mounting the Pin Template are two pages long. I will try to scan these and e-mail them to you later.
    Hopefully the information for the mounting of the Dovetail Template will at least get you started!

Thanks Bill, a great help, Hope I can get good results with after market bits I bought on ebay, not from keller. Time will tell, thanks again.

If you want me to search for the instructions (I think it was a single sheet of paper) or the video included with the jig (I know I have it somewhere), drop me a message. I expect that you can already get all of this, however, directly from their site and the video referenced above.

Quote Originally Posted by chris white View Post
    Thanks Bill, a great help, Hope I can get good results with after market bits I bought on ebay, not from keller. Time will tell, thanks again.
    Peachtree now has a "Keller like" dovetail jig and when I talked to them at the Woodshow they indicated that their bits will work on the Keller jig.