Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ford f150

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    There aren't enough threads on my 4.6 so I'm told its quite easy to strip out the heads or not seat the plug properly causing more damage. This is on a Mustang though not an F150 (is the the same part? every other part seems to be the same...). Only reason I've been hesitant to replace them. I need to get in there and check them out though because I've got a weird missing idle problem and everything else seems to be working fine.
    Is the problem stripping the threads removing the plugs? Its critical to always start the new plug by hand rather than with a wrench, and anti-seize is a must. You'll wanna resolve that miss ASAP, as it can damage the catalytic converter, big $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    this may not amount to be as bad as the news thought
    spark plugs had always been a problem if the ratchet and socket applied too much side pressure

In most cases breaking the ceramic top portion of a spark plug isn't a big deal. On these Ford engines, it's the lower threaded portion that is breaking in two, leaving a portion deep in the spark plug hole in the head.

There aren't enough threads on my 4.6 so I'm told its quite easy to strip out the heads or not seat the plug properly causing more damage. This is on a Mustang though not an F150 (is the the same part? every other part seems to be the same...). Only reason I've been hesitant to replace them. I need to get in there and check them out though because I've got a weird missing idle problem and everything else seems to be working fine.
    Thats a whole different bird Bryan, the earlier 4.6 and 5.4 litre fords had very shallow thread depth, there were alot of cases of plugs blowing out of the head. I dont percieve this as an installation problem, just luck of the draw. I have seen plugs blow out of the head that were in there for over 100k, and some that blew out at 15k. There is a different repair procedure for this type of problem, we have a kit that installs a heavy duty heli-coil type insert into the head. I can do one in about 15 minutes (depending on the cylinder) it is a permanent repair. There again, for the amount of these engines on the road, compared to the ones that have problems.....yes it happens, not ALL the time.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Ever have to replace an engine in a 97 F150 V6? I got caught with that bad engine.
    No Dave I have not, I dont think its a bad engine, but you have every right to diasagree.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Thats a whole different bird Bryan, the earlier 4.6 and 5.4 litre fords had very shallow thread depth, there were alot of cases of plugs blowing out of the head. I dont percieve this as an installation problem, just luck of the draw. I have seen plugs blow out of the head that were in there for over 100k, and some that blew out at 15k. There is a different repair procedure for this type of problem, we have a kit that installs a heavy duty heli-coil type insert into the head. I can do one in about 15 minutes (depending on the cylinder) it is a permanent repair. There again, for the amount of these engines on the road, compared to the ones that have problems.....yes it happens, not ALL the time.
    Hey thanks for the info! Are the heli coil kits available to the public?

one trick that I use to install sparkplugs are to use a rubber hose that will hold the plug tight, you can feel the plug as it turn into the cylinder hole, of course you will had to turn it by hand for the best control

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    In most cases breaking the ceramic top portion of a spark plug isn't a big deal. On these Ford engines, it's the lower threaded portion that is breaking in two, leaving a portion deep in the spark plug hole in the head.
    I forgot how many times I broke plugs as I were removing them but when I broke one being install, I were told about one case of the mechanic breaking the plugs and had to pull the head in order to remove the remains of the plugs, this happen before 1978 so the mistake of the breaks are not new

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    No Dave I have not, I dont think its a bad engine, but you have every right to diasagree.
    The ones that left the factory early in the year had the issue. When I called repair shops to get a price they did not even have to look it up. They knew the cost by heart. Every time I go to the auto parts store to get a filter or something they say "Put a new engine in it yet" I went to the Ford dealer to look at new trucks and soon as I opened my door the salesman said "Put a new engine in it yet" Went to the junk yard the other day to get a spare tire. The guy at the counter said they have calls all the time for 1997 V6 4.2L.

I had the coolant problem the day I drove it off the lot "NEW" Had it back to the dealer many times but nothing they did corrected it. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck so it took me 12 years to hit the 70K miles when they tend to go. To this day everyone I ask in the auto repair bizz knows of the problem except FORD service. They act like they never heard of it before. (Guess they should ask the sales man out front that asked me if I replaced the engine yet) My truck was never recalled.

Lady at work had ,I believe, the same year Toyoda truck that had the frame rust problem. Her truck was worn out but they just gave her $7,000 to buy it back. I love my Ford truck, May even buy a new one. But after this I will go and check out a Toyoda truck first and see what they have to offer.

http://www.complaints.com/directory/...uary/30/23.htm
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-02-2012 at 9:55 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have an 2004 F150, but only 46K miles, I don't plan on checking them or replacing them anytime soon. I have heard that too and have read a lot about the plugs either breaking or when removing they break. Some say to work them back and forth slowly to clean the carbon off the threads.

My buddy's 2005 F150 about 80K miles, had one break off while driving and ripped up the cylinder, he already had his new 2010 F150 on order and was due in the following week. Unfortunately, they deducted like 3-4K off the trade in, since thats what it was going to cost to fix the motor....he was bummed, but loves his new truck. A mechanic there already had a 5.4L motor and bought it as is.
    Last edited by Dave Wagner; 03-02-2012 at 9:53 PM.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Hey thanks for the info! Are the heli coil kits available to the public?
    They sure are, OTC makes a kit to do the inserts, its a 300$ kit.

Blog Entries

Very similar to the one we have, ours came with a really nice video demonstrating proper use of the tool. Ours has a TDC indicator as this is very important when you are removing that much material from the cylinder head, (the shavings must be properly extracted). Let me do some looking for a site that carries the one we have, I like mine a little better than the one you have linked to and it was at least $75.00 less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Greg, here is the one I recemmond http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Spark-Plu.../dp/B0013HE2YO

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jeff!