Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ca-blo finish on pens

I have applied BLO, walnut oil, mineral oil, and Danish oil under CA for pen and bottle stopper turning. I apply my oil, let it soak in a bit, and then burnish it off. In particular, BLO can make some grains pop that CA simply will not do alone.

I don't know what is so upsetting to you John about people having luck with this method of finishing. There is a way to do it that some people just haven't learned yet. And no, BLO doesn't do anything to strengthen CA, but it doesn't need to. You're not mixing the two. A CA finish is not meant to mix or bond with any other finish used...but rather simply create a plastic like coat over it. Whether or not what is underneath ever fully cures is irrelevant...it's if the CA keeps its integrity. I have seen pens finished with BLO and CA that have kept their integrity to years and have keep a gloss. It's all about technique and preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Eargle View Post
    I have applied BLO, walnut oil, mineral oil, and Danish oil under CA for pen and bottle stopper turning. I apply my oil, let it soak in a bit, and then burnish it off. In particular, BLO can make some grains pop that CA simply will not do alone.

I don't know what is so upsetting to you John about people having luck with this method of finishing. There is a way to do it that some people just haven't learned yet. And no, BLO doesn't do anything to strengthen CA, but it doesn't need to. You're not mixing the two. A CA finish is not meant to mix or bond with any other finish used...but rather simply create a plastic like coat over it. Whether or not what is underneath ever fully cures is irrelevant...it's if the CA keeps its integrity. I have seen pens finished with BLO and CA that have kept their integrity to years and have keep a gloss. It's all about technique and preference.

Marty if you are talking to me you need to go back and read the post. You are confusing things. It is not a case of using blo or any other oils to pop the grain. Blo in this case is used in conjunction with the use of CA. In other words it is applied together. You are mixing together and are changing the integrity of the CA. You put a few drops of CA and then add a few drops of BLO together and it is suppose to smooth out the CA to avoid those streaky lines. That is the only purpose to use it. Most people who have learned to use just CA avoid those lines by other means. I too use Boiled linseed oil to pop the grain when I am top coating with anything other than poly which usually is always. Doing flat work and other turnings I like waterbased lacquers. Pens I use CA. I have only used poly on my hardwood floors in my house.

Hope I was not the one to confuse you.

I personally do not care what method people use at all. The question was not answered and it became a poll as to who use what method. Who cares??? I mentione d my findings and mentioned I use CA only.
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 03-01-2012 at 4:57 PM.
    John T.

No worries here John. I thought we were talking about using BLO and then a CA finish. I have never even heard of actually mixing the two and will agree that it makes no sense. Chemically, that would cause issues no doubt. There are many applications in where oil is used to help break down and remove CA glue from things.

I also use CA only. There are as many CA finishing methods as there are pen turners. I tried several methods and found a simple 5 coats thin and 5-7 coats medium is the most simple for me to get a good finish. There are many variables from shop humidity to the amount of oil in the wood to the color of your socks that day, BLO just adds another variable to the equation. This is not to take away anything from those that use BLO with success, you have to find a method that works for you. There are many methods on video and described on the IAP (penturners forum), try some until you find one that works.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein

ca/blo finish

sorry that i started such a firestorm about this problem!! thanks to all who have expressed opinions on both sides, i see where i could make changes, especially in regard to letting it cure longer before polishing.

There's no firestorm, it's just that for a variety of reasons (variables), different methods work for different people. I'd like to figure out the BLO'less method, it's just the first time I tried it, I ended up with a mess. As a result I returned to what has worked for me.

Paul,

I will apologize to you.

I don't know what the answer is to your problem as I have never experienced it in my use of BLO & CA.

I have seen many discussions on SMC concerning pen finishes. Some of those listed have been shellac based finishes, plexiglass dissolved in acetone, CA, Blo&CA, lacquer and others I am sure I have accidentally overlooked.

As I first stated and others stated after me, take your time, try different methods, find one that works for you and stick with it.

Again, my apologies.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....