Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ca-blo finish on pens

ca-blo finish on pens

having a problem with this finish when i go to polish them. when i finish withe ca-blo they have a good shiny finish. i go to polish them, and they lose some of the sheen. maybe i don't let them cure long enough. any ideas appreciated. thanks

I hate to say it but stop using the BLO as it will only cause problems. Just us CA and you will be good to go. Be sure to build enough finish to sand and then polish. BLO never lets the CA cure properly and you will never have good success. I teach and demo ca finishes and have tried every possible combination.

Good luck

Alan

Alan, I have had good luck with CA&BLO. When I tried just CA, it ate me alive and I ruined several pen blanks and tubes.

I used Russ Fairfield's video to learn, did as it said and it worked well FOR ME. I suggest that one should find a method that works for them and use it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

CA never properly cures with BLO you can come back 6 months later and cut the CA on the blank and smell CA. You may not agree with me but I put CA on some pretty large stuff with great success. I know Russ was a big supporter of the CA BLO method but I have found that it is not the best method.

Alan

Allen...I'm not trying to steal your thunder but I experienced the exact opposite results.
    Ken

Ken,

There is no thunder to steel. If you ever get to San Antonio. I can show how to do a CA finish on a pen in 5 min and perfect every time. This is a standing invitation to anyone here at Sawmill Creek if they get this way I will show how to do a proper CA finish. The BLO slows the cure rate to much. If you try to use it on a mixed media piece you would understand what I am talking about as it shrinks between the wood and resin and leaves a horrible finish. Also it can lead to specs and other issues with the finish. While I don't consider myself an expert on many things I do consider myself an expert on CA finishing. Anyone that has seen my vessels in person can attest to the quality of my finishes.

Here is a little PDF that I have put together that gives a brief description. Key steps for a CA finish.pdf

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 02-29-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Alan.....I have tried several times to use just CA without out any success and a few years ago another Creeker Joel Sauter did show me, Brian and Tamara Brown how to use just CA. All I said is that I encourage each person to find a method that works for them and use it. CA and BLO works for me and many others. And while I don't consider myself an expert, I do reserve the right have a differing opinion and experience.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-29-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    Ken

Alan,

Have you ever considered posting a video to youtube? I know there are many on there, but I'm bettin' that most of us here have no idea who those people are. I'd be very interested in seeing you demo using just CA. I'm in the camp with Ken, having tried it, and not had success. I'd guess the CA being used is a BIG factor.

I do know that the success in using CA and BLO is directly tied to the amount of BLO used.

I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to BLO/CA and CA finishes but I've found that straight CA works better for me. I started using the BLO/CA method and just couldn't get consistent results with it on my pens. Then I switched to a CA finish and while I still haven't got it down to a science yet, the results are much better. With the BLO/CA method I would get cloudiness occasionally but that's not a problem with CA.
    Now my main problem is applying the CA where I don't have to go too low in the grits to smooth it out. It will come with more practice!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

1500 pens and I have never used BLO...just CA. I did 10 Pens For Soldiers today and all have an excellent CA finish. Not looking for an argument...just been my experience.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

When I started making pens, I used the BLO/CA finish every time. After a decent hiatus from pens, I had a lot of trouble getting a good finish. Lately I have been consistantly getting a very good finish using med. CA, and a quick spray or two with CA accelerator between every 2 or so coats. Then wet sanding thru every grit of MM and using a plastic polish. They feel kind of like a acrylic blank, but look very good. Good luck.
    "a noble spirit embiggins the smallest man"

I did a video for Stickfast and it is on youtube. If you go to the stickfast website they have it there. I also use no blo and it is done in under 5 min. as well. Hope this helps.

I am in the CA only camp. I have done something over 150 pens and the last 100 or more have been CA only(the previous ones were with wax products). I have not timed myself but I apply one coat of thin and 8-10 coats of medium with an occasional accelerator squirt. Then water/wet sand through all the MMs. I doubt that it takes more then 5-6 minutes. For pens and other small items like bottle stoppers I wouldn't use anything else.

"The best things in life are not things."

I have made hundreds of pens and use CA/BLO. This video is about the way I do mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgO...e=channel_page

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Hello Paul

I see you did not get your questioned answered so I will answer for you.

I did not realize we were having a poll of weather or not to use BLO. I am and always was a believer that adding blo can have no good effects to it. Never have used and will never use it. You are mixing an oil with whatever CA is made of. People that say it is the heat that the oil creates causes it to cure faster, it actually is the time you hang onto that paper towel and rubbing on the blank that is causing the heat. Blo just made it more slippery for you to do that. I am not a scientist but what is the blo doing to the strength or molecules of the CA?? If it was made to be used with CA why do they not sell it already mixed??? Maybe you people that do use it can come up with a formula and put out the next great product with it mixed already.

Ca needs to outgas when drying. It needs to cure before you polish it on a buffer. That is why it is cloudying up. You create heat again when buffing and this reactivates the not so cured CA and you are now mixing that with the white polishing stick material you used to polish with. Thus the cloudy look. Just let cure more and then polish if you so choose to and you should be fine.

I think this posted but I don't see it.
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 03-01-2012 at 4:13 PM.
    John T.