Thread: Hickory Burl Platter

Hickory Burl Platter

I have not posted a pic in quite some time but I have been reading the forum everyday. Since Thanksgivving, I have had 2 surgeries for a brain tumor and I will be having 2 months of Proton Beam Radiation Therapy starting in 2 weeks. The prognosis is excellent and the doctors expect a complete recovery. I have been able to do some turning and I have been taking some pics. I will try to get back into a more active roll in the Creek.

This tray is from a piece of Hickory Burl a friend gave me, last spring. It had a lot of inclusions and a lot of rot. I intended to rough turn it and return it to the lathe after drying. When I took it out of the chuck and started cleaning
    the dust and some rot out, the tenon area simply fell apart. I decided to put into a large paper bag for drying for a few months.

This piece moved and warped a lot, as wet Hickory does, but I manged to jam chuck it for a little bottom clean up and then a lot of sanding, off the lathe. The finish is just Walnut Oil. Size: 13" X 10" X 3"

Comments and critique are most welcome and thanks for looking.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Interesting piece! Lots of character, color, voids and I think this is the first time I have ever seen where you can use the pedestal as a bowl! Cool!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is a one of a kind piece if I have ever seen one! Best wishes on a complete recovery!

4. Wishing you well on a full recovery, Dale........glad you could do this piece......very unique wood!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Neat piece Dale! Nice job making it "reversable"! Good to hear your surgeries were a success and best wishes on a full and quick recovery!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Ha!!! I love the idea Dale! That took some planning and it sure came out well! Keep your head up and all hope is with you!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Dale, you are one blessed individual! Glad the surgeries were successful, and even more so that your prognosis is positive. I hope your experience has strengthened your faith.

Excellent work on this piece - particularly after the challenging situation with the tenon. Sounds like it turned into a lot of work with the sanding. I have not had the opportunity to turn a hickory burl, but I bet after that thing was dry it was tough as nails!

Many thanks to all for the well wishes and the kind comments on the burl platter/ tray thing. I just remembered that I posted a some pics of the burl when first on the lathe, last spring. In the link below there are several progress pics of this piece.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...TING&highlight

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Very nice piece Dale, got some great character in that one. Hope to see more of your work and truly best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Nice idea, like the holes in the wood.