Thread: Dril Doctor

Dril Doctor

Looking for opinions on the "Drill Doctor" there are several models, will any sharpen brad point drills.
    The folks at HD and Lowes have no info..
    thank you in advance for any info.

I use the DrillDoctor 750X in my shop and love it. I have brought dozens of old drills back from the dead with this thing and can freshen a drill very quickly when needed. See the link below for my review of the DrillDoctor that I have. No sharpener that I am aware of, including the DrillDoctor will sharpen brad point bits. I suspect that they need a specially formed grinding wheel that will need near constant shaping to work right for a given bit size.

http://www.newmetalworker.com/Reviews/drldoc750rvu.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Drill doctor is one of he few products that works exactly like you see on the commercial. I have the 750X and love it. It was invaluable when I was doing more metal work. I hardly use it anymore because I use mostly brad point and Forstners these days.

+3 on the 750x DD.

Ive got a 750, I bought it for $10 on an auction, I guess nobody else knew what it was. It works good. I figured out how to make it work without any directions, the manual wasnt with the one I bought. Jared

Since brad points are only used for wood they're not apt to dull quickly, will still drill when somewhat dull and can be easily sharpened with a hand held stone.

None of the Drill Doctor models will resharpen a brad point bit. The machines that can handle brad points cost hundreds of dollars more. Either learn to hand-file brad points, or replace them when dull.

W.L. Fuller will sharpen brad points. They make very nice drill bits too, btw.