Thread: Grizzly G0586 Price

Grizzly G0586 Price

I found a Grizzly G0586 for sale locally. The tables and the fence look to be pretty rusty in the pictures and would defintely require some good clean up. I'm curious what you would be willing to pay for this. While I don't need an 8" jointer right now I figured if the price was right I might pull the trigger anyhow. Any thoughts?

Normally 60% of new is a good starting place. Ajust up or down for condition and availability of used equiptment in your ares. Depending on the rust, I would be interested for $400-450.

Do you know the original price from Grizzly? According to their website this model has been discontinued.

If I were you I would have jumped on that the second I saw it. It doesn't look that rusty and I can almost guarantee you won't find another $375 8" jointer for sale again next week.

What it originally sold for is a little irrelevant as machinery prices are WAY up. What could you get an 8" jointer for new today?

Go buy it. Some "Bar Keeper's Friend" will make quick work of the rust cleanup. I'd play up the rust and start the bidding at $300.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/2878041566.html

I waited until 8:30 to call not wanting to call to early and I was already to late. Guess that is what I get for trying to be considerate...

I called at 9:20 so I feel better knowing I was at least 3rd in line.
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

I just sold a Grizzly 8" jointer I purchased new in 2005 - for $450. Perfect shape.

(just a calibration point)

The buyers argument was that he could get a new one for about $950 including shipping. So this was around 50% of a new one.

I was ok with this (might have held out for another $50 - but I felt a fair deal). I had originally bought it new on a Grizzly clearance for $475... so it didnt cost me much to run it for the last few years.

i recently picked up a used (2005) G0586....tables/fence were dead flat with no rust and fence was square to the table. the machine was in good shape. i got it for $450. pretty similar it sounds like to what Carl is describing. if the only thing wrong with the one you're looking at is rust, maybe it's worth $375-400. however, whenever i see a machine in that kind of shape i always want to know why it's like that. did it sit unused (which may not raise red flags) or does the guy just not take care of his equipment (which would make me REAL hesitant unless the price was too low to pass up). good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Ambrose View Post
    i recently picked up a used (2005) G0586....tables/fence were dead flat with no rust and fence was square to the table. the machine was in good shape. i got it for $450. pretty similar it sounds like to what Carl is describing. if the only thing wrong with the one you're looking at is rust, maybe it's worth $375-400. however, whenever i see a machine in that kind of shape i always want to know why it's like that. did it sit unused (which may not raise red flags) or does the guy just not take care of his equipment (which would make me REAL hesitant unless the price was too low to pass up). good luck
    Wait a min..... do you have a grey beard, glasses and drive a Ford.....? (lol - kidding - Im pretty sure it wasnt you) Although its a small world so stranger things have happened.

Carl,

no facial hair or Ford....but, yes, it is at times a very small world.....