Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas wood ID help please!

Thanks for all the help. I couldn't take it any longer I had to cut it in half. Here is what I found. Any more ideas? Thanks again.

SteveDSCN0186.jpgDSCN0188.JPG

Alan,

Good Call...I stand corrected. I was thinking of wild/common persimmon tree that is found throughout Texas (see attached photos). The bark is rough, dark (almost black) and heavily fissured, and the fruit is unedible until it is fully ripe (almost fermented).

Persimmon.jpgpersimmon fruit.jpg

In the case of the Texas Persimmon and Texas Madrone both are similar with peeling black bark outer bark with smooth greyish under bark. Neither of these tree grows very large...small brush/tree with varigated limbs. I actually took a roadtrip to hunt some specimens and everythign I found was no bigger than 6" diameter or smaller.

Due to our climate it is quite common to find crepe myrtles growing in Texas that are +12" diameter. I have seen a couple of crepe myrtles that were approx 24" is diameter with the trunk rippled like a stalagmite.

Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    Yes I was referring to Texas Persimmon which does grow in the Austin area. Here is a picture that I found. They grow a lot like the Crepe Myrtle,They can look like tree or a bush. Here is a photo I found.

I very well could be wrong but just a guess.

Thanks,

Alan
    Last edited by Edward Bartimmo; 03-02-2012 at 3:32 PM.

I'm no wood expert, but I've been around those all my life. It's crepe myrtle. I have some that size and a few larger in my backyard.

D

OK guys here is a picture of the rough turned bowl.
    Thanks again all. Steve

DSCN0189.jpgDSCN0191.JPGDSCN0194.jpg

Sure turned out to be a beautiful piece of wood. Nice job on the bowl as well.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

[QUOTE=Edward Bartimmo;1886692]Alan,

Good Call...I stand corrected. I was thinking of wild/common persimmon tree that is found throughout Texas (see attached photos). The bark is rough, dark (almost black) and heavily fissured, and the fruit is unedible until it is fully ripe (almost fermented).

In Virginia, the trick about eating the fruit is to wait until after the first frost--before then and they will always make your lips pucker up!

Nice looking wood in the bowl.
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 03-02-2012 at 9:17 PM.