Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need info/suggestions: 3M Airstream users

Angry Need info/suggestions: 3M Airstream users

For those of you who use or have used the 3m Airstream: Setting aside somewhat the obvious facts that it provides safety and improved health

1. Does it feel like it helps or hinders the results of your work?
    2. Are you happy to put it on every time you turn or do you make excuses to not wear it?
    3. Does the shield come down past your chin and provide adequate coverage?
    4. Can it be purchased without the battery ?
    5. Does it come with the charger?
    6. Is there an alternate setup you would recommend that provides the same safety properties? (trend airshield pro)
    7. My bionic face shield seems to attract dust by means of static. Is this a problem with the Airstream?

Thank you all in advance for any help towards a purchase decision. I'm trying to avoid buyers remorse

Thomas - I have been using mine for a couple of years now and still love it! I upgraded from a Trend and my only regret was not having done it sooner!

To answer some of your questions.... the Airstream doesn't help or hinder my work. I wear it every time I turn and if I forgot to charge the battery... then I don't turn that day! As far as I know, the system comes with a battery but you have to order the special charger separate. I know Alan Z put up plans to create your own smaller battery pack... so I guess that would be an option. As far as dust clinging to the faceshield... happens with mine also but I just wipe it with a used dryer sheet and that cuts down on the static cling.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Whoa...Sticker shock!!! I was off by $500 when guessing the price.Who can afford a lathe and tools after that purchase? I wonder if the AAW or even local clubs got together for some purchasing power. ? ..and then the price of the battery is as much as a chopsaw..wow!! personally, i would upgrade my filters for my Dust collector and air cleaner, and get a nice quiet dedicated vacuum at the point of turning in tandem with my DC.The unit sounds awesome but not $800 worth,makes me want to build a better mousetrap .

How much are your lungs worth. None of the dust collectors or air filters that you put in your shop will collect/filter the fine dust particles that stay suspended in air for seconds and minutes at a time. The .5 micron and smaller particles. It's those particles that are most harmful to your health also as they are the ones that get through you natural filtration system in your body. That's why it's important to use either a respirator or a PAPR system which is what the 3m Airstream is. Yeah, it's expensive, but yeah, it's worth it too. Plus it will last you a lifetime. They are built to last. I just did the Alan Z battery modification and it works great. A used Airstream just sold on eBay a few days ago for $130.00. The buyer will probably invest another $2-300 in parts and battery to bring it up to like new and I would say he still got a great bargain.

Brian.... I was the buyer on that eBay auction a few days ago <s>

My wife said "Are we done now, buying helmets?"

I figured that for the modest eBay price (which was REALLY modest until the last minute), I would keep the unit around for spare parts.
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 03-02-2012 at 6:30 AM.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Brian,
    I looked at them all, and was about to get the 3m airstream then saw something new coming from 3m . which was the VERSA FLOWversaflow.jpg it is about $400.00 cheaper than the airstream $200.00 more than TREND. Been using it for about 3 weeks now and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

check it out will give it a 5 stars.... Can see a big difference and fell it with and without wearing it first thing I put on now.

Joel,

Where did you find a Versaflo for $200 more than a Trend? The prices I've seen for the Versaflo helmet kits are in the $1,300 range.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I started wearing a 3M AirStream 20 years ago when all I did was scroll work. Originally I bought it because I have a beard and nothing else protected me. I use both the hard hat and soft hood. I had to replace the battery after 15 years. You can purchase the components in any combination you desire. I put fog-x on the plastic to hinder static dust cling. I am very happy with my 3M.

Alan I got from ENVIRO SAFTEY PRODUCTS ordered it about7 weeks ago and paid $808.00 just looked on there web site listed now for $1347.25 must of got lucky caught the intro price....

Alan,
    i had a sneaky suspicion that it might have been you. I bid up to $85.00 and was going to go to $105.00 for the same reason. Just to have a spare.
    The VersaFlo is pretty nice but for me the hose is a big turnoff for me. I have to limit any stress what so ever on my neck. But if it has significant more airflow then I might consider it. The price is more than the Airstream the last time I checked. Isn't a new Airstream about $800?

Not to hijack or derail the thread, but Lee Valley has a low profile dust respirator that would fit nicely under a regular face mask. Anybody try that?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...66&cat=1,42207
    It's sufficiently stout..

Like the others I love my Airstream. It is pricey but as Brain said how much are you lungs and health worth. I figured if it the grain elevator here in town required it when unloading grain and when in the elevator it had to be good. Like Steve I have it by the shop door. If the battery is dead or I don't put it on I am not turning. I have a DC and Air cleaner which help but can tell you they don't get the fine, fine dust that lingers in the air and dust .5 micron or less are what is going to get you. I use a dryer sheet to keep dust from clinging.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John, the problem with dust mask is they don't provide any seal. No seal and the really fine particles will get in. The Airstream doesn't provide a seal either, but what it does is provide air flowing down over your face( considered an over pressure) to keep any fines from being inhaled. Further more that forced air blowing down over your face that you are breathing is is filtered to meet NIOSH and OSHA requirements. Some woods have fungi that your body may not be able to fight off in addition to what the dust does to your lungs anyway.
    I'm probably a little anal about respiratory protection. My job requires me to working in the Hazard Waste and Environmental cleanup field. When I went into the Chemical Field in the military years ago the one thing we were taught is "what you can't see is more apt to kill you than what you can see". So far I'm lucky. I do a pulmonary function test once a year(requirement for my job) and so far i've passed the past 30 years with flying colors.

Thomas,

I bought an Airstream several months ago and had similar concerns. For $800, you don't want to regret the purchase. All in all, I don't regret buying the Airstream. It works really well. There are, however, a few issues that I have with the product. The battery is rather large, cumbersome, and is ni-cad. Lithium ion batteries are lighter and more efficient. I know there's a DIY guide for adapting to a lithium-ion battery, but having spent that much money, I don't feel too excited about slicing up my power cord. Also, I'm a bit miffed that the charger isn't included with the purchase. Instead, you have to spend ~$150 or so to buy it. That's a lot of cash to lay out for a battery charger. Again, it's a great product, but I feel like 3M could update the design by using a lighter, better battery.

Noah,

There is no need to cut the power cord. In my video I showed a little three prong adapter I made for the stock cord (actually only two wires are necessary)

I made the adapter using a piece of thin brass tubing and glued sections of the tubing into a small piece of corian. Pretty much any way you can connect to the two power prongs will work.