Thread: Monster laser set up

Monster laser set up

Just got my monster articulated arm system and gave it a first ride last night! Definitely will be some learning curve but already dramatically easier than hand held. My question is regarding the laser set up. His instructions show putting the dot of the laser beam directly on the tool tip. I saw a demo by Lyle Jamison where he would position the laser off the edge of the tool by a distance equivilent to his intended wall thickness. When the beam went off the edge of the piece, his wall was at the correct thickness. That seems more accurate than trying to judge the distance given the curvature of the piece. Was wondering what most people here do. Thanks in advance for the input.

For my purpose, I like the laser positioned at the thickness of the HF. That is when it gets long, or drops off your done.

Bob... I usually have it set to the desired thickness - unless I am roughing out. Also, be sure to pay attention to what part of the cutter is actually contacting the wood and adjust your laser accordingly!! As the interior curve changes... so should your laser adjustment.

Have fun!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

How long did you wait for it.

Thanks for the quick response Josh and Steve. That's pretty much what I figured after using it. Jeff, it took 5 or 6 weeks to get it though I ordered a bit before Randy got sick so not sure what current wait time is.

+1 on adjusting the laser according to the surface. Jameson uses a card with two lines perpendicular to each other. The first line is perpendicular to the surface you are cutting and the other is drawn a specified distance from the edge of the card. Where the two lines cross is where you set the laser. Quick and easy.

Mike

7. Welcome to the Monster brigade, Bob.........Steve tells you correctly...........I do the same as he, and never had a problem.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!