Thread: Bandsaw blade sharpening: How to?

Bandsaw blade sharpening: How to?

Please don't laugh, but as I was sharpening my chainsaw the other day with a dremel tool, I thought what an asset it would be if I could sharpen and set the teeth on my bandsaw blades. I know it's not a cost-productive activity when you're looking at a minimum of 315 teeth on a 105" carbon blade which may have cost $10-$20, however, I find the flexibility and performance possibilites attractive. Consider that few hobbyist blades have ground teeth, which are much sharper and cleaner-cutting. Also when resawing, thicker stock usually calls for more set, especially with green wood. That can be compensated for by slowing feed rate, I know, but less friction would mean a longer life for blade and saw. Finally, it could provide a means to correct a blade whose set has been accidentally altered, like my "friend" who knew better than to cut curves with a resaw blade but did it anyway:-) And, of course, I'm such a cheapo, tossing blades that are good but dull just goes against my nature.

If anyone knows of a "how-to" for sharpening and setting BS blades, I would be appreciative. At least you'll get a good laugh at the picture of a nerd filing late into the night as he counts "2 down and 313 to go, 3 down and 312 to go..."

A number of years ago one of the major ww magazines ran an article on a little machine one could build that would sharpen bandsaw blades pretty accurately. I made one and used it for quite a while. Later I got a bandsaw mill and I made my own jig to hold the blade in an upright position so that about 18" inches was held firmly with the teeth protruding to the back of the gullet. I used an electric chain saw sharpener to sharpen the bandsaw mill blades. It took a little practice but with care I learned the right movement to start at the top of the gullet and swing down and around the gullet and come off the tip of the tooth so that I didn't round it over. Once I got the hang of it I could sharpen a bandmill blade in about ten minutes. Then is when I learned what a difference a sharp bandsaw blade makes. You can't really tell they are sharp by feeling them or at least I couldn't. You have to look close and be sure that the very tip is not flat or rounded over.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

we have used that little dremmel to sharpen out bandmill blades as well. we sit down with the blade on our lap and give each tooth a little touch. we start at the bottom of the gullet and swing it up past the tooth. I have not tried it on my indoor band saw yet.

The sawyer in my neighborhood sends his blades in to Woodmizer who
    has a sharpening service. Would be handy to be able to sharpen them
    on the spot though. Are there any companies that sharpen bandsaw blades?
    My experience is they are throw-aways. How about posting how to make
    a bandsaw blade sharpener? Jim

Thumbs up

I have sharpened the 1" blades on my Laguna LT18 using the same grinding
    tool used to sharpen chainsaw blades. Steel blades only. The gullet is the
    same size as the diameter of the grinding bit. I just use the hand-held method
    with a light touch in the gullet and across the back of the tooth.
    I will not, however, use the sharpening method for a 1/4" blade; just not worth the time and trouble. And blades this size are priced to be disposable
    anyway IMO. The blades I use are 1" with 2/3 teeth per inch, and at 12' 6"
    long, only takes about 10-15 minutes to dress up.
    I use a Dremel with a grinding bit used for chainsaws( may be 3/32"), mark a
    starting point and rotate the blade by hand.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
    A number of years ago one of the major ww magazines ran an article on a little machine one could build that would sharpen bandsaw blades pretty accurately.
    Don,

Sent you a rather lengthy PM with questions about the bandmill. As for the sharpening fixture, do you by any chance have a picture, or could you describe it?

Also, any tips on how to set the teeth would be much appreciated. I have sharpened and set handsaw blades, so I understand the concept, but don't know how or how much on a bandsaw blade.

A couple of years ago, I had a Timberwolf snap at the weld doing a project. (It was replaced at no cost and without any questions, I mailed it in and had it back in about a week.)

I needed to finish what I was doing. I had an old visibly dull blade coiled up that I said H'mmm and mouted it upside down on the saw, took out my Dremel and went throught the stones I had for chainsaws and picked one that filled the gullet and started out touching up the points. (Every other tooth had the opposite set, so I did all the ones one way with a slight angle to match the set, then did the others.) It took about 1 second per tooth, when I got a rythem going.

It turned out better that I had expected, but I won't make a practice of it. Project done though.