Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First (real) Bowl!

First (real) Bowl!

Okay, I made a doll stand for my mother a few months ago that technically was a bowl. I have roughed out a couple of bowls, and they are sitting drying, but this is my first finished bowl. I had some 16/4 African Mahogany drops from the legs that I made for my end table. I was cleaning up around the shop and saw the drops and decided it would make a great bowl. Plus it's kiln dried so I don't have to wait months for it to dry. Photo setup is a sheet over a chair in my kitchen- I'll work on my photography once I get better at turning.

Right now it just has BLO on it, I'm gonna let it dry and then lacquer it up (I think). But I couldn't wait to post the results.

I put a foot/ogee on the bottom of it, I know a lot of you guys don't like feet. You can only see it when you're at eye level anyways. I really didn't have any preconceived ideas about a shape, I just wanted a bowl. It's big and stocky like me.

Its 7 3/8" by 3 5/8", the rim is a hair over 1/4. It started feeling too delicate for my hands at that point.

Anyways, enjoy, feel free to comment/critique.

Where did I put that?

Rob...very nice bowl. I have no issues myself with a foot, especially a larger one to enhance a bowl/platter's usefullness. This looks well formed and finished. I'd say by looks of it...you have your tools kept nice and sharp!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Beautiful!! I wouldn't change a thing.Photo #1 is my pick: i like the grain orientation,great shape, and the foot lifts it just the right amt. for viewing.

Great bowl Rob...you have a lot to be proud of with this one.

Great bowl!,,,whether it is the 1st or 50th. nice shape and wood. Good photos too. I have to stop my I-phone photos in the back yard one of these days. How does it turn? It doesn't seem to tear-out much.
    We just got a few bundles of African Mahogany at work, mostly 8/4, but some 12/4. I will have to give it a try. Some of boards are so wide that I hate to cut them up.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Wow, What a great first effort. Beautiful piece if mahogany and wonderful shape.
    faust

It's beautiful. I think you nailed the shape - not stocky at all. Who cares if some people don't like feet, if you feel like a piece should have a foot, then put a foot on it.

8. nice work Rob.........i love working with mahogany.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice looking bowl. Be sure you sign AND date it!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Nice one, Rob! Wish my first one had been so good!
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

No critique here, that is a fine looking bowl. Like the shape.

Very nice job. Wish my first also looked 1/2 this good. Mine was a funnel.

Very nice job Rob! You've got a real nice shape on that one and nothing wrong with the foot, it's sized very proportionately for the bowl. Nice job on the finish too. I did some peppermills from mahogany and really like how nice it sanded up.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

A most beautiful bowl, Rob! Definitely something to be proud of
    P.S. I love the foot!

Great first Rob, wish all mine looked that good.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."