Thread: Lathe chuck care

Lathe chuck care

Received my PSI CSC2000C chuck in the mail today. They are not shy about coating it with oil. I got all the oil cleaned off.
    What is recommended to use on the chuck? I was thinking powered graphite on the moving parts of the chuck body. Dry lube on the jaws. Will dry lube have any effect on gripping wood? Would past wax be better?
    How about thread Anti Seize on the jaw screws.

Don't want anything to rust in my shop but don't generally have a problem because I keep things well waxed.

Any other care tips I may be overlooking ?
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-01-2012 at 5:32 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I use graphite on mine. The most important thing is to keep it clean. A good washing with mineral spirits every once in a while will really help life and functionality. Also, I can attest with the PSI chuck...don't over tighten the set screws and don't let them sit too long. They will seize up and strip out very easily. I replaced them after a few months of owning the chuck with screws of higher quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Eargle View Post
    I use graphite on mine. The most important thing is to keep it clean. A good washing with mineral spirits every once in a while will really help life and functionality. Also, I can attest with the PSI chuck...don't over tighten the set screws and don't let them sit too long. They will seize up and strip out very easily. I replaced them after a few months of owning the chuck with screws of higher quality.
    Thanks! Good info.
    Where did you find the replacement screws?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I picked up mine at Ace Hardware. I had to take the head of each to the grinder because I couldn't find a perfect match but I'm sure someone knows more than me about it.

I store my chucks in used plastic jars that originally housed mixed nuts from Costco. I add a small packet of silica gel to absorb any moisture in the air. The jars have a 4 inch opening so most chucks will fit. I don't recommend waxing the jaws - they might slip.

Captain Eddie has a video about chuck care on You Tube. I think it is worth viewing.

I have always disassembled and cleaned in kero to start with. Like Marty I use graphite. Spray aerosol dries in a couple of minutes leaving a coating on moving parts. You can get the little tubes which are better for tight places or reapplying months later. It also doesn’t attract dust like oil/grease. Just use your air gun to keep it clean.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe