Thread: Z axis Ball screw break question

Z axis Ball screw break question

I have a ball screw Z axis coming from Techno Inc. Linear Motions System. I will need to provide some sort of brake. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Michael Simpson Virgina; 03-02-2012 at 3:01 AM.

One thing I was thinking of was to spring load the carriage. The goal is to keep the bit from crashing into the table when the power is turned off.

Now I get it! Brake! I have used both springs and air cylinders for this use. With both ballscrews and rack & pinion setups. BTW the air cylinders, due to adjustability, are a much better solution.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

My 10mmDIA 6mm lead per turn ballscrew will not back drive the directly connected sepper motor. I have a k2 mount on a 1/2" plate that is 7"x16" with a Hiatchi router. All this mounted to a a set of Hiwin 20 series block and linear rail. Don't have an issue with it falling.

good reading: http://www.rockfordballscrew.com/ball-screws.htm

Torque The torque produced through the screw shaft by a thrust load on the ball nut. Ball screws can coast or backdrive due to the high efficiency of the mechanism (90%). If back driving is not acceptable, a method to resist the overturning backdriving systemic torque, such as a brake, will be required to hold the load. If backdriving is desired, the lead of the screw should be at least 1/3 of the screw diameter. Ideally the lead should be equal to the screw diameter. This calculated torque is the minimum amount of braking torque to hold the load in position.
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Once I get the unit attached to one of my CNC's I will have a better idea of what I am dealing with. I can just imagion ruining yet another bit, by crashing it into my table, when I just the machine down.

I used a 1/2 dia. acme lead screw with an anti-backlash nut and there is enough friction to prevent the z axis motion when the power is turned off.

John Beroset