Thread: Recent Screwdrivers

Recent Screwdrivers

Turned these about a month ago but I had them in mind to do for a long time. Already gifted some of them to family and friends. I bought some Kobalt screwdrivers when I found them on sale for a ridiculously low price from the blue big box store that rhymes with "hose". Cut off the plastic handle, drill a hole in the end of the blank to fit the insert and blade set, turn, finish, epoxy and done. I think they look better than the original, hope you think the same.

From left to right: spalted maple, cherry, walnut, oak,cherry, walnut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Nice looking handles. I did the same thing except I got mine at Menards. Paid $2 for the screwdriver, a lot less than the kits that are sold.

Jim

Very nice.

Could you explain "Cut off the plastic handle"? Hack saw? Cut along the length of the insert shaft and split the plastic?

Thanks

Jim

These make great gifts. I always have a couple around to give to friends. Everyone needs a good six-in-one screwdriver to have in thier catch-all drawer in the kitchen.

Nice looking screw drivers. I keep two or three also for gifts.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good looking handles Jim! Look like they would be a heck of a lot more comfortable than plastic! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Laumann View Post
    Jim

Very nice.

Could you explain "Cut off the plastic handle"? Hack saw? Cut along the length of the insert shaft and split the plastic?

Thanks

Jim
    Jim, I used a Dremel with a cut off wheel and cut up the length of the handle just far enough to pry the insert out, but I suppose a hack saw could work. If you nick the insert a tiny bit it won't hurt but try not to go to deep and remember to take the blade set out before you start. You can pry the insert out with another screw driver or steel bar once you're far enough into the plastic.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Sometimes you can slip a decent size box end wrench over the screwdriver shaft, and then clamp the shaft of the screwdriver in a steel vise, and then just drive it off by pounding on the wrench with a hammer. Shouldn't take too much...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

What kind of finish did you put on the handles? They look great.

Another option, I chuck the butt end of the handle and turn the plastic Down close to the insert. Then pry or cut off the remained with a knife.

Erik, nothing fancy as far as finish. The oak handle was an experiment with rattle can lacquer and the rest were done with beeswax burned in on the lathe.