Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need an Idea for a back to a stereo cabinet

Another idea would be lots of holes in the bottom and a slot in the top rail just below the top.
    Mark R

nice looking cab!

Blog Entries
    What about a frame stretched with speaker cloth? You could make a nice black frame and stretch black cloth over it with the good side facing backwards. If you make it exactly the right size, it would be sort of a press fit for easy removal. Air flow would be no problem at all.

Jay, I am a bit of an audiophile myself and thru the years I have experimented with different cooling methods. I run some good sized amps as well as a preamps and a processor that can generate generous amounts of heat. I have found the simplest and most effective is utilizing natural convection. In a case where only a few components are involved I would suggest if possible to add some vents at the bottom front of the cabinet. This will allow cooler air off the floor to draw up into the cabinet. Then at the top of the back of the cabinet create an opening of slightly larger size of those at the bottom. This allows the heat to naturally rise up and out of the back, since you state you have about 5", for cables I assume, behind the components. That makes a nice chase of flue, the displacement of that air as it rises creates a natural draw of cooler air at the bottom front. This air draws in, up, and across the components disappating that heat as it continues up and out the back. As far as how the back looks is concerned you appear to have star design on the front. Why not cut out a few holes in the shape, white keeping them small enough to maintain a size proportionate to the holes in front. On the holes in the front those can be in the bottom but you need to make sure ther is an opening for the air to enter the area beneath the bottom surface.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

A nice panel with bars or slats like a jail cell? Or, as someone already said.....a louvered panel. Possibly an opening mimicing the star motif?

Rick Potter

Even a row of good size holes across the bottom, and another row across the top, would allow a convection path inside and may be sufficient

In the past I have made electronics cabinets I leave a large gap along the ,back, just under the top ( the back isn't full height ) It looks fine and also allows wires to route in and out, and with an intake opening at the bottom somewhere ( which could be the floor inside the cabinet ) it allows a convective flow.

Beautiful cabinet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    Most likely the door will say open & there is about 5" of space between the components and the back.
    Probably the best bet. That's what we do. Kinda sucks, but it's what you have to do.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

IMG_7567.jpgThis is what I came up with for the back of the stereo cabinet. The grid is mortised into the rails & stiles. Hope that will let enough air in to cool the components. There are only three so I can't see to much heat generated.

Well see, you certainly do have the ability . Very nice and I'm sure, effective solution.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I'm building my equipment rack for my home theater without doors for just this reason. In our family room, our 55" flat screen sits on top of a cabinet, which holds a preamp, power amp, tuner, satellite box, Blue Ray and CD player. It has doors which must be left open when anything is on, which is a pain. The equipment cabinet in the home theater will be 2' wide and 5' tall, so there will be plenty of airspace around the components without a fan for cooling. I like being able to see the gear, anyway.