I'm in the process of deciding whether to build a new free standing workshop building vs. modifying current space in our house. Clearly the separate building would be ideal, but the initial cost estimates are making me think otherwise. I currently have a basement shop with reasonable room but REALLY want to get into a space with some windows and additional space. I am transitioning from primarily power tools to more and more hand tool work. I will likely end up with some type of "hybrid" model but the hand/bench work will likely dominate. If I stay in the house, I would need to keep my larger power tools (table saw, joiner, planer, lathe, etc. in the basement but could move my "bench space" to an existing ground floor space (with windows!) that would also have room for a bandsaw and a few other things. The 2 areas are directly linked by a dedicated stairway.

So my question... what has been anyone's experience, if any, with a 2 level workshop (in this case, a ground floor bench space connected to a lower level machine space)? Thanks!