Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone following Paul Sellers methods?

Blog Entries

Anyone following Paul Sellers methods?

I've been watching this person since his videos started appearing. His methods seem pretty straight forward, so I've tried a few and they have worked well for me. No, I'm not getting quite the same results in quality, but they are certainly satsifactory. He seems to use a modest set of tools and some old methods of work.

My opinion is that he adding to the craft and like Chris Schwarz, think we are better off having him provide his unique (well, at least to some of us) way of woodworking. Anyway - that's my opinion and am curious as to others thoughts.

Yes, I don't have his videos yet but have seen all of his clips on youtube. Actually he is demonstrating at the woodworking show in VA today and I was planning on going mostly to see him (and drool over the Veritas line). I like how he does minimal layout on a dovetail. I am a klutz doing the Cosman divider way but sometimes all of the layout is needed

I saw him at the Springfield MA woodworking show. His methods are sound and will work. With practice they will work better. Frankly I was impressed.
    Bill Rittner
    Hardware City Tools

I really enjoyed Sellers' demonstrations at the NJ show. Each demo was not the same, by the way. I did get his book and am looking forward to working through it. His approach is quite eye-opening for me.

I bought his DVDs and book after watching him at the Baltimore show and I've been completely impressed with his no nonsense form of working with hand tools. He's the reason started using hand tools for everything. He also is a very personable guy. I'll email him with questions time to time on certain things I may be having trouble with and he always responds, usually in the same day. I'd love to go to one of his weeklong classes in new York. He makes working with hand tools seem very easy and straight forward and after some practice, his methods do work for sure. It's amazing what you can make with a couple sharp chisels, a square, a marking knife , a smoothing plane, and couple hand saws.

If he is the same Paul Sellers...He should know what he's talking about...he served a 7 yr. apprenticeship (I believe is what he said) in England. He is or was the MasterCraftsman at Homestead village near Waco. I took a class from him several years ago, there. Very intellegent and talented as a teacher. Several years later I am still using his no nonsense method of restoring an edge and getting back to work. My shooting board is a copy of one he had at the class. Some people and their methods are easier to relate to and use; Paul seemed to be one of those people. 'Course his English is a little "thick".
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

I did make it to the show today. I watched one of Pauls demonstrations and have to say I was impressed. It helps that he seems to be very comfortable with a mic and speakers but he really got his points across. They had a small tv going with one of his videos and they look recent. Meaning I think they are HD and fairly well produced. Don't quote me on this as it is just my observation. I did not purchase the DVD's because he did not accept credit cards and I only had enough cash for the book on me. I did buy his book. He is a minimalist in his teachings from what I can tell. He mentioned getting saws and planes off ebay several times. Also said we do not need thicker irons in the planes and showed us his sharpening strategy to use the thinner iron. He used a chisel (blue chip) spokeshave, #4 and a few tenon saws he said were less than $20 bucks a pop on ebay. He does sharpen with diamond stones and a strop. Greg, I would love to hear your comments on the dvd's. Roy, he mentioned Texas once and also said he has done commissions for the Bush family as well as the White House. So I think it is the same guy. If I could find the time I would love to take a class up in NY at his new school. Probably a pipe dream for me sadly. I am going to contiue to follow his blog and might get some of the DVD's. Paul.... Get a credit card account casue I would have the dvd's now if you had one .

Other observations from the show:

It was about 80% router bits, sand paper and band saw jigs which is what I expected from last years visit in Baltimore. Paul was great. Tommy Mac was there and I thought he was good as well. I also bought his book which is plans from his projects for the first year. Well, it was cheap and he signed it and I really liked the wall cabinet episode he did and it is in there. TV does fatten people up. Tommy looks great on TV and looked skinny as a rail in person. Being a fatso I guess that is a good thing . Honestly he was very personable and hung out at the Woodcraft booth after his show and spoke with anyone weather you bought his stuff or not. Lee Valley had a display set up. I am sure I will owe the convention center a cleaning bill after the drool I left all over the floor. I am getting a LA jack with my next order. I know Paul just spoke of old baileys and such but this plane needs me . And to be honest Paul had several obvious Veritas handles sticking out of his tool cabinet and several Veritas Carcass saw on the bench. Nuff said . Sadly I have one slight Veritas gripe that I have to put out. Someone please explain to me why the new 6" rule is $25. I know good measuring tools can cost even more. I saw this thing and was so in love until I saw the price when it came out. Told myself I just have to see something like this before purchasing and cannot drop a 1/4 benji on it sight unseen. OK, I've seen it and am not sold . I love the design but can't see that much for it. Go ahead and slam me. I am 100% sure Rob et al have the exact reason for this but it is the one and only Veritas item I don't understand. LOVE everything else and could have played in that both for hours so don't call me a hater but I just need a little help with this one.... John

You can also order a free sample DVD from his website which is a 30 minute sampling of the full set. That and all of his videos on Youtube really impress me a lot.

Paul is a great teacher. I took a week long handtool course when he was at Homestead Heritage about 12+ years ago. It's really what got me started in hand tools. He really breaks tasks down to simple steps and takes a lot of the mystery out of it. As others have mentioned, he does not push the need for a lot of tools or high dollar tools. Simple methods and simple tools, but great results. A lot of the projects in his videos look to be the same ones he used in the course I took. Each project highlighted a new connection...dados, mortises, and dovetails. His sharpening routine is very simple and appears the same as when I took his course except that he didn't emphasize rounding the bevel.

Blog Entries
    +1 for what Tom said.

I know Paul from the school at Homestead Heritage. He is as talented as any woodworker I've seen or met.

I did a review of his series on my blog: http://www.closegrain.com/2011/12/re...-wood-dvd.html.

I also got a chance to meet him at the Woodworking Show in Springfield: http://www.closegrain.com/2012/01/pa...king-show.html (includes YouTube video of some of his presentation).

I heartily agree with everything good everyone has to say about him here. Nice guy, great skills, loves what he's doing and loves sharing it. I'll be showing my daughter his dovetail method today for a box she's building. I'll put that on the blog as well.
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

I started watching his videos on You Tube and then reading his blog. I bought his book and the artisan DVD series. I've been using and practicing all he says and it's working. The main points I took away from his dvd series is one - proper use of the knife and knifing a wall, two - try to be accurate as you can no matter what you are doing, and lastly, patience -allow what you doing to unfold at it's own pace. Great teacher and highly effective for me. I can see a difference in what I am doing.
    ralph

Quote Originally Posted by john davey View Post
    Sadly I have one slight Veritas gripe that I have to put out. Someone please explain to me why the new 6" rule is $25. I know good measuring tools can cost even more. I saw this thing and was so in love until I saw the price when it came out. Told myself I just have to see something like this before purchasing and cannot drop a 1/4 benji on it sight unseen. OK, I've seen it and am not sold . I love the design but can't see that much for it. Go ahead and slam me. I am 100% sure Rob et al have the exact reason for this but it is the one and only Veritas item I don't understand.
    Is there some way to see this rule online? I searched through the LV website and couldn't find one that matched this price/description...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Is there some way to see this rule online? I searched through the LV website and couldn't find one that matched this price/description...
    I think John must be referring to the new-ish Veritas precision square that's $24.50. It's a square, not a rule, and I use it all the time.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...73&cat=1,42936

Even the Starrett 6" rules are less than $25. I don't think Veritas makes a 6" rule. Lee Valley, however, does sell at least two 6" rules.

One is the "Cabinetmaker's Rule" with a hang-hole for $2.90.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...68&cat=1,43513

The other is a much thicker and wider "Pocket Rule" for $10.60.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...66&cat=1,43513

FWIW, I keep several of the cheaper ones hanging all over the place, but the thicker ones are much nicer.

Yes, I am a LV addict.

Steve

Yes I meant the square Sorry...