Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Couple of days with David Marks

Great opportunity. Can you review his procedure for cutting DT's on a BS? Is he a pinfirstian? Does he use jigs?
    I made the jig in the Charlesworth book, and it works quite well, but only used it once, on very heavy, 8/4 bubinga. Looks in the pix like he is not using any jig.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

i also enjoyed my 3 days with david, he's a great guy. i kinda wanna fo again this year and do some turning, i'd love to give that oneway a spin.
    i'll see him again at the pomona show, can't wait, many things to talk about.

sascha

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Great opportunity. Can you review his procedure for cutting DT's on a BS? Is he a pinfirstian? Does he use jigs?
    I made the jig in the Charlesworth book, and it works quite well, but only used it once, on very heavy, 8/4 bubinga. Looks in the pix like he is not using any jig.
    Hi Alan,
    David is a "pins first" guy. We did not use any jigs for cutting the pins or tails. Just freehand...but we did discuss the use of a jig for the pins.

Jim

Congrats on your time with David - the dovetails look fantastic.

I, too, got to spend a day with David in his shop. It was a great experience. First off, the shop is amazing. Fantastic space - wonderfully laid out.
    Secondly, David was really accomodating. He was able to speak directly to my skill level (novice) and we put the time to excellent use.
    I learned a large amount in a very short time.

I highly recommend the time (and cost) or a personal visit, as well as his show.

tim