Thread: little box

little box

This is all curly maple with a rosewood and ebony lift. I have about 4 of these in a range of sizes in different stages of completion. Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting, but I think the walls of the box should be thinner.
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post
    Interesting, but I think the walls of the box should be thinner.
    Thanks for looking. The complete box is made from 3/8" thick material. I played with several different thicknesses of lids to use and they all seemed to be to thick for the walls, so i settled for one lid of the same thickness as the walls. Thanks for your comment. carl

Agree w/ Mark --- the proportion of thickness to project size are rather heavy.

I made a larger case using 1/2" which seemed to work well:

wfa-takedownbowcase-finished.jpg

Carl, I think the dimensions are just fine. Your box is nice and shows great character. -Derek

3/8" is pretty good for a box that size, I think the picture doesn't really do it justice, its a small box with 3/8" thick sides, maybe could have gone 1/4" but that makes it hard to mount hinges and such.

I agree that the dimensions are fine - it makes for a "strong" looking box.

However, if you have a recipient that would like an aesthetically more "well-proportioned" box, you could try routing a rabbet around the inside of the box.

BTW, nice tight box joints. Did you have to fuss a bit to get them so tight (I always seem to have to do so)?
    Last edited by Carl Babel; 03-09-2012 at 8:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Babel View Post
    I agree that the dimensions are fine - it makes for a "strong" looking box.

However, if you have a recipient that would like an aesthetically more "well-proportioned" box, you could try routing a rabbet around the inside of the box.

BTW, nice tight box joints. Did you have to fuss a bit to get them so tight (I always seem to have to do so)?
    Hi, thanks all for your comments. No fuss at all, box joints are easy with the Incra jig, once you get the hang of it. I had the Incra Ultra Jig for several years now and am just now doing some joints with it. Previous to doing these type of joints i was doing miters and then adding splines. I like doing them this way b/c you can make a few boxes at a time, dry fit them and put them away till you get around to them with out them moving out of square. I have one large one and one medium and three small ones in line to be fitted with a bottom, a lid to be picked out, and then glued up. I am working on a medium size one now, I am putting a WOP finish now. All i have to do to finish, is design the dividers. I`ll post it in a few days. Thanks, Carl..

Thats a cool way to stage the picture, placing it on top of the parts!
    ken

I like the thickness, makes it look sturdy. Nice Job!