Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: options for cutting the drawer bottom groove?

options for cutting the drawer bottom groove?

I took a class on cutting dovetails and I think we used something like a stanley 45 to cut the groove. In the cosman videos he uses a wood plane that he sells for around $150 bucks.

I could setup my router table to do it pretty quickly but would like to find a much cheaper neanderthal alternative. I don't know much about hand tools so don't know what other options there may be.

Thanks

Several user grade vintage planes would fit the bill. A Stanley 248, Record 43, Record 50, etc.

Ebay or old tool purveyors like Patrick Leach could hook you up for far below Cosman prices.

Something like eBay item 2a1a4bc696

Here's my 248A:

Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 03-04-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: removed eBay link, not allowed per TOS

Blog Entries
    If your goal is to do it with hand tools, I agree with Sean. If you don't mind sticking with power (since you spoke about the router table), you can simply set the fence of your tablesaw at about a half inch from the blade and run the front and side pieces through. Re-set the fence to the thickness of your drawer bottome material and run them through again and test it. Once it fits, set those pieces aside, raise the blade and push the back piece through.

At that point, you have three sides with a groove and a back that sits flush with the top and bottom will sit on the top side of your drawer bottom. Personally, I use a Record 044, but I used the above method until moving to hand tools. It's the Frank Klausz method and it never let me down.

Blog Entries
    A plow plane is a very easy way to cut a groove. Most of mine are Stanley 45s. Any of the similar plow planes would do a good job.

Someone here once mentioned of having the groove cut through the tail and then make the tail not be the full thickness of the wood to hide the groove.

Another way to hide the groove is to use half blind dovetails.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I picked up an Alumo weatherstripping plane and added an auxiliary fence to put the groove where I needed it.

Meaning to make a pair of these:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rooving-planes

but I'm still making the stopped grooves w/ a marking knife, drill to establish the ends, veneer saw w/ clamped on depth stop for the sides and chiseling out the waste w/ a 1/8" chisel. I've got a shop made widow's tooth, but need to grind a narrower iron.

I would like to make a pair of grooving planes too. What would be a good source of irons? I think LN sells some but they are only 1/8th and I prefer a 1/4". I know you can buy O1 tool steel and harden it but that is beyond my experience.
    Salem

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

. . . Someone here once mentioned of having the groove cut through the tail and then make the tail not be the full thickness of the wood to hide the groove. . . .
    I've been doing half-thickness tails across the whole board to hide the groove/grooves. I tried just making that one tail be half thickness to hide the groove, and it gets finicky if you're not careful with layout, to get both the half thickness tail and the other full thickness ones to bottom out at the same time. Of course, I was rushing, screwed it up that one time, and never bothered to have another go at it.

I like doing the mitred edge dovetails, like was shown on the "Jefferson Bookcases" a while back in Popular Woodworking magazine to hide a groove.

At $150 you could take your pick of a dozen different planes both new and old that will cut a drawer groove and more. A beech groove plane that has lost its tongue cutting partner costs about $10 and is basically the same plane as Cosman's.

Blog Entries
    What would be a good source of irons?
    I have been thinking of using old blades from a Stanley 45 or similar plane. They can usually be had on ebay for $10 or less.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I made the matched pair from the FWW article; 1/4" groove, 1/4" deep. 1/4" in from the edge. Made blades from a #4 Stanley blade, by cutting the outside edge off each side with a Dremmel and a cut-off wheel. They are plenty thick(the blades) for this purpose a 1/4" thick blade would be overkill for these planes IMHO. They work a treat and took very little time to make. I'll never have to use any other tool for this particular job again! Total cost was a used Stanley blade @$2. I can also make any other configuration for a 1/4" groove (distance from edge or depth of groove) and use the same blades.
    Each time I make a tool for a specific purpose, I rediscover why woodworking gives me so much pleasure! Planes made by the glue-up method are so simple and easy to make. Heat treating is very simple for 01....heat it, quench it. Ron Hock "has" to be precise but it isn't all that nescessary in the home shop. If it's to soft, do it over, if it's to hard, do it over, hard enough is a pretty liberal description.
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

Roy I can't imagine how long it would take to cut a plane iron with a Dremel!!

But this is roughly where I was headed. I have an old plane iron I can use. And I didn't mean 1/4 thick, I meant 1/4 wide . LN has some 1/8" wide ones that are not wide enough for the dado IMHO.

Thanks again!
    Salem

thanks for the tips, it helps to know what kind of terms to google for now.

I also have a lead on a stanley 45 with just the 1/4" iron for 60 bucks. I might have to take some time off from work to check it out next week If it doesn't work out I also checked out the FWW one that will be my 2nd option, 17 bucks for the each blade and scrap wood.

180 hrs of vacation time saved up

One thing I've been surprised at is that there isn't a design for such planes which allow one to use a chisel for an iron.

Another overlooked option is a Stanley #50. I paid $35 for mine with both sets of blades (grooving and beading) and I prefer it by leaps and bounds over a #45. Not a real popular plane as compared to #45's and #55's they can usually be found cheap.
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

It's not that hard to attach a chisel to the front of a wooden block that has a sloped nose, like a chisel plane but with a much more upright angle. As a starving artist many years ago it was my solution to cutting grooves. I sawed and chopped a channel down the middle of the sloped front which was just wide enough to jam in a 1/4" chisel, bevel down. A screwed-on cleat running from side to side of the slope clamps the chisel in place. Tear-out is a a problem, but if the front slope is upright enough it's a cross between a cutter and a scraper. If I remember right, mine are set at about 45-degrees. It's a bit of a riddle to keep a tapered chisel body from creeping upward, but not a big deal.

For occasional use, a fence/guide can be screwed or nailed to the bottom of the "plane" body. For more extended production, a conventional plow is much more convenient. If I can find one of my old blocks I can post a quick photo.