Thread: Removing a dent from Honduras mahogany

Removing a dent from Honduras mahogany

I recently banged the edge of a table I made out of Honduras mahogany and made two small dents, the largest being about 1/8" deep at its maximum depth by about 1/4" wide. See attached image. I've had some success with other woods/pieces steaming such dents with water & a clothes iron, but this is an important piece & I want to fix the site the best way possible. The table is unstained & is finished with water based polyurethane. One concern is the wood is MUCH lighter when sanded, it takes months to reach the present color, which this piece got before finishing. I really want to fix this correctly, suggestions? I'm about to cry over this one!

Thanks

Dan

Dent.jpg

Steam is a good option.

This edge is very sharp; I suspect this edge will get dents often. Have you considered easing the edge with a 1/8" radius?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Scott - Thanks for the reply. You're probably right about easing the edge. My main concern is what effect applying heat will have on the existing water based poly (discoloration?), and also, if a bit of sanding is required, will the sanded area re-darken over time to match the rest of the table, especially if finish (more water based poly) is applied to the freshly reworked wood, sealing it from the air? Not sure it this species darkens by oxidation, UV light, both?

Dan

I have to agree that that edge is much too sharp. In any ordinary environment its going to get banged up extensively. IMHO you're much better off relieving it.

Blog Entries
    I have also had surprising recoveries with steam but, unfortunately, no experience on a finished piece.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've never used steam. Seems like a pain.

When I dent wood, (and I do that a lot), I'll go to the sink, run water on my finger, and then go back to the wood and drip it in the depression. Then, I might repeat that a time or two. Afterwards, I give the water time to do its thin, usually overnight. In the end, no one ever knows.

Todd

Also, in regard to Honduras Mahogany darkening over time. My experience has been weeks, not months, to get a significant darkening.