Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little advise is needed

I like the large hollow from idea. Make sure that your tool will reach into the bottom and sides of the planned form. Since you may not get a second chance for another piece like this, I would suggest trying some poplar in that size first. The Redwood is easy cutting, dusty if dry. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.
    C&C WELCOME

I have no idea what to do with a piece of wood like that… I just set mine up on a high shelf, and I get it down and fondle it every now and then. Whatever you decide, I'll do something different with mine, so we can see which one of chose wisely.

I am in the mind set of making it the largest HF possible, but I might have to order a longer extension for my Carter Hollow Roller! I think about 8-9" is about as deep as it will go with the 3/4" stock bar. And I will defininitely want the safety of the laser (so I don't screw it up)! The funny thing about this block is that I can't really tell the grain orientation very well as is and will have to slap a belt sander on it to see what is hidden under the chainsaw marks and dust.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I think it's solid burl, Scott... At least, that's what I think mine is. If you sand off part of it, I'd love to see some photos of it.

Will do. I think that is a must happen event. I would really want to see a smooth side or 4 to figure out the best orientation. Now to have time for my return to the shop.....
    -------
    -------

3/4" x 3/4" x 6" cuts = ink pens...thats my opinion! (mainly cause i cant get a stupid bowl made let alone a hollowform)

Scott.....That piece would make a nice lamp base.
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

Depending on the profile of your HF, you should be able to lop off a chunk from each lower corner that would be big enough for an ornament globe. Easy to do if you have a bandsaw with a tilting table.
    David DeCristoforo

David, that thought has definitely crossed my mind. Of course we don't have Redwood here in doodah, so it is concidered a rare thing and I don't want to make any more "rare" shavings than needed!
    -------
    -------

Figured old growth redwood is highly prized here in Ca. as well. But keep in mind that redwood is toxic. You have to be sure not to inhale the dust and even a small splinter can cause major problems if not removed right away.
    David DeCristoforo

Whatever you decide, Scott, I would chuck up a similar sized piece and turn a sample to be sure you like the shape and dimensions. Drawings, especially profile drawings take us so far but often look differently in the "flesh". In any event, have fun.
    faust

Scott, Everyone has good ideas, but here is one that can be used to get a big finished piece and a couple of smaller ones also. If you design the larger HF with a line or bead of embelishment it, that could be used to hide a glue joint. So this means you could rough out the design to allow for the 2 halves to be cored to save the inner wood that would be lost if hollowed completley. I know a lot of folks frown on this but it is an option for a very special piece of wood. Once you have the design drawn the off cuts could be saved for pens, stoppers or ornaments, thus giving you the most out of the blank.

More than one way to skin a HF,

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown