Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally! A lathe upgrade.

Finally! A lathe upgrade.

It took a couple years of searching online for a used lathe. I had convinced myself I was going to have to buy a new one later this year and fretting anymore price increases. Sunday a friend of mine and fellow creeker (Ricc Havens) called and said there is a Jet 1642 on Craigslist. Well Sunday was my boys (twins) birthday so I couldn't go look at it and was afraid someone would grab it before I could get there. Well Ricc graciously went over and looked, he called and said it was a good one. I picked it up last night and got it set up tonight. We carried it up from a basement shop and I carried it down to a basement shop. Even in pieces, its one heavy lathe. I am pretty sure the headstock weight more than my old delta midi. Now I have this big lathe, I can turn some bigger items. And the first thing I turn, is a pen and pencil set. That's OK, I am getting paid for them. I am really stoked about this thing and can't wait to make a mess. I need to reconfigure my shop as it too big for the original layout. But this will get me started.

Thanks for looking.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations on the new lathe Mike! May it serve you well!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Reconfiguring your shop for a reason like that is good stuff! Congratulations!

You will love the 1642. They are just fantastic lathes. It does look a little sad with just the little bit of dust under it. Get some shavings flying on that bad boy.
    Congratulations.

Congratulations on the new lathe. I have the same one and love it. Enjoy!

Congrats on the good find and the upgrade! Being able to see floor under a lathe sure is odd...better get to work on that.

Hope you got a good deal and it works for you a long time. Looks like a nice one.

Yeah, that one will open up a whole new world of turning for you. Bummer to turn a pen and pencil for the inaugural run, but you'll get some big stuff on there soon enough!

Congrats!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Congats on a nice lathe Mike.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sure look purdy! Hope she serves you well.

Congrats on the new lathe. I'd love to upgrade my Jet 1236 but it's just not in the finances right now....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Mike, looks like it is in great shape! Congrats! I really enjoy mine, and I turned a couple of bowls large enough to justify the lathe - IF one needs to justify such purchases.

You got a great lathe there. I still use mine even tho I have another larger one. It will serve you well.

Great lathe, I've never been disappointed in mine nor wished for a larger one. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Thanks all. The lathe is in pretty good shape. The only bad part is the guy I bought it from smoked (A LOT!) and the thing stinks. A little cleaner will go a long way though. I did get a pretty good deal, less than half of retail pricing.

Mike