Thread: Top hat separator - inlet question

Top hat separator - inlet question

Greetings! I am in the process of building a top hat (pre)separator. I have taken a Jet DC-1100 for parts, assembled my components and was about to start the build when I realized that despite all my notes and research I do not know if I should have a clockwise or counter clockwise inlet. Since the impeller unit will be mounted above the top hat spinning clockwise (looking down) I was thinking the inlet should be on the left causing spin in the same clockwise direction. Can anyone confirm this is correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not sure that it matters. But with that said, that's the way mine is arranged IIRC, and it works awesome.

Edit: Nope, looking down on it, my impeller turns counter-clockwise. The inlet on the separator would have the debris in my separator turning clockwise when looking down on it...

It works excellent though, I get nothing at all hardly in my collection bag.
    Last edited by Kevin W Johnson; 04-21-2012 at 2:06 AM.

Heres my set up. I shortened the collection bag after this picture. I don't like the two 90's, but placement and room dictate the current setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you have an Australian version. Just kidding I don't think it really matters